[NatureNS] re Dead yearling? Harp? Seals

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 18:27:21 -0300
From: "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_mq6pamYZ/h3JNN2GBZNOVg)

A very recent article in the Chronicle Herald said that at least some
of the dead seals were HARP SEALS.  All of the rest of what I have
been reading has just said "SEALS" and sometimes "young seals" (as
per Richard below), and one person said "white-coats", which I think
is not correct, from the photos I saw on the ATV/CTV evening news
over the past weekend.  It looked to me like at least some (or all?)
were once again yearling or "beater" harp seals.  I wonder if we will
ever hear more from the federal Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans about
the cause of death, beyond what they have already said was from
shifting ice.  It should be mentioned that harp seals are very much
ice-loving seals, and this year's moving ice that Tom Kavanagh and
others have mentioned might well have gotten dangerous for these
young-but-not-infant seals.

Ian (McLaren), have you seen enough photos or actual carcasses to
enter the discussion here?

Others have suggested that these seals died perhaps weeks ago, and
that scavenging by gulls etc. starts with the head and works
posteriorly from there.  Lovely subject, eh?

Cheers? from Jim in Wolfville.
-------------------------------
Begin forwarded message:

> From: Richard Stern <sternrichard@gmail.com>
> Date: April 13, 2009 7:45:51 PM ADT
> To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
> Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Dead Seal
>
> There were at least 4 dead seals on Pond Cove Beach this w/e. All
> were young, and headless - similar to those described on the CBC
> news at Lawrencetown Beach this evening. They were providing a
> treat for the local Turkey Vultures. I have no idea what killed
> them., but perhaps it's a province-wide phenomenon.
>
> Richard
>
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Terri Crane
> <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca> wrote:
> This year the outer edge of the Ice flow was pushed out of the Gulf
> and off Cape Breton earlier than usual and large volumes passed
> just off our shores heading southwest.
>
> I'd say that the early and large out flows of ice are responsible
> for this years further south than usual deposits of seal carcus'.
> I'm sure most of us along the north eastern shore don't mind
> sharing this early-mid spring abundance.
>
> In the next short while if you have a carcus on you beach don't let
> it get above the tide line. You'll be sure to have you're own
> smelly, oil producing, colony of decomposers that will last into
> mid summer (lots of experence). Even though the water is cold it
> seem to excelerate the decomp of the seals while keeping the smell
> in check (relatively speaking). An off shore wind on a falling tide
> can make it go away.
>
> Tom K.
> Canso

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">
A very recent article in the Chronicle Herald said that at least some of =
the dead seals were HARP SEALS. =A0All of the rest of what I have been =
reading has just said "SEALS" and sometimes "young seals" (as per =
Richard below), and one person said "white-coats", which I think is not =
correct, from the photos I saw on the ATV/CTV evening news over the past =
weekend. =A0It looked to me like at least some (or all?) were once again =
yearling or "beater" harp seals. =A0I wonder if we will ever hear more =
from the federal Dept. of Fisheries and Oceans about the cause of death, =
beyond what they have already said was from shifting ice. =A0It should =
be mentioned that harp seals are very much ice-loving seals, and this =
year's moving ice that Tom Kavanagh and others have mentioned might well =
have gotten dangerous for these young-but-not-infant =
actual carcasses to enter the discussion =
died perhaps weeks ago, and that scavenging by gulls etc. starts with =
the head and works posteriorly from there. =A0Lovely subject, =
forwarded message:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><div =
style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: 0px; =
margin-left: 0px; "><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" color=3D"#000000" =
style=3D"font: 12.0px Helvetica; color: #000000"><b>From: =
</b></font><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3" style=3D"font: 12.0px =
Helvetica">Richard Stern &lt;<a =
href=3D"mailto:sternrichard@gmail.com">sternrichard@gmail.com</a>></font><=
/div><div style=3D"margin-top: 0px; margin-right: 0px; margin-bottom: =