[NatureNS] Fox Sparrows, Red-w. Blackbirds and Grackles

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 11:09:02 -0300

As I was preparing dinner last night, I was surprised and delighted to spot
two Fox Sparrows, barely visible, feeding and sheltering under our Wolfville
Ridge feeding station along with a Song Sparrow and a couple of Juncos, just
as the snow starting falling here around 6.00 p.m.  I have a couple of
Christmas trees tied to twin maples in our backyard to offer cover for the
feeding birds and this is where the FOSPs turned up. I thought I saw a third
Fox Sparrow feeding there also but the birds were well tucked in behind the
lower balsam branches draping the snow around the base of the maples and
rarely came out into the open, plus viewing angles became limited due to the
snow falling.

Today, Tues, one Fox Sparrow is back.

Monday mid-afternoon more spring arrivals were observed at the top of
Sherwood Dr, east Wolfville - a mixed flock (20-30) C Grackles and Red-w.
Blackbirds.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts - in snowy Wolfville.

   Judy  Tufts