[NatureNS] Fundy Shore Trip results - 21 March 2009

From: "Wayne P. Neily" <neilyornis@hotmail.com>
To: NatureNS List <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
CC: Steve & Sharon Hawboldt <s.hawboldt@ns.sympatico.ca>,
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 2009 16:13:25 -0300

--_0d338462-7a23-4eac-8aa4-07c37d7bba07_

Hello folks:

=20

    Just a brief note for those interested. --   The joint NSBS-BNS-AFNC ou=
ting Saturday went very well=2C thanks to great weather and a good turn-out=
 - both of people and birds.  Apologies for duplications - I cannot always =
remember who is on NatureNS. =20

=20

     We started out with 21 participants and about 12 vehicles=2C which lim=
ited our possibilities for stops=2C but the early high tide forced us to ke=
ep up a brisk pace in the a.m. anyway.  I hope that everyone had a chance t=
o meet one or more new potential birding friends=2C as well as getting some=
 new birds - for the year or the county=2C at least.  We were fortunate to =
have the Presidents of two of the sponsoring groups along - Pat Kelly of No=
va Scotia Bird Society and Rick Whitman of Blomidon Naturalists - and I hop=
e that any of you who are not members will consider joining one or more of =
the three groups - check out their websites. =20

=20

     For the day we had 58 species (59 if we count the Fox Sparrow that Cla=
ire Diggins had at her Middleton feeder when she got home)=2C none very rar=
e but with a good representation of early migrants.   At Audrey Wellwood's =
bird haven with ravine=2C pond=2C and feeders in Aylesford we were able to =
start with most of the expected land birds from pheasants to finches=2C inc=
luding Common Redpoll=2C and singing Red-winged Blackbirds and Song Sparrow=
s.  On the way from there to Morden=2C we were able to add more migrants=2C=
 including Northern Flickers=2C a flock of American Robins=2C and a few Com=
mon Grackles in a resplendent plumage belying their name.

=20

    Waterfowl were for most the highlight of the trip=2C with Canada Geese =
and 15 species of ducks=2C most of which allowed us good views.   Sea ducks=
=2C including the three scoters=2C Common Eider=2C Long-tailed Duck=2C Red-=
breasted Merganser=2C and Harlequin Duck=2C were at one or more of the thre=
e ports visited - Morden=2C Margaretsville=2C and Port George=2C most of th=
em now in pairs=2C and with the males often displaying.  Port George provid=
ed the only good views of Harlequins=2C bur at least seven were quite coope=
rative there.  Both loons and both coastal grebes were seen=2C but they wer=
e usually hidden by the wave action and their frequent dives=2C so not ever=
yone got good views of them.  A highlight for me was a close flypast of a G=
reat Cormorant in breeding plumage at Morden - a species that has become qu=
ite scarce here.  A Bald Eagle also gave us a good view=2C and at the Marga=
retsville pond a pair of Hooded Mergansers that we had seen through the sco=
pes decided to give us a better look by flying low over us to get to the ot=
her side of the road.

=20

    After a stop at Middleton where Clarence Stevens Jr. managed to count s=
ix Northern Cardinals skulking in the thickets of the Lily Lake Brook ravin=
e (and the rest of us were able to see or hear one or two)=2C most of the g=
roup continued on down the Annapolis River.  Most of the river was open=2C =
and gave us a good variety of river ducks from Bridgetown to Annapolis: Com=
mon Goldeneye=2C Bufflehead=2C Common (and Hooded) Mergansers=2C and Greate=
r Scaup.  A few Red-tailed Hawks=2C three Bald Eagles=2C and a Sharp-shinne=
d Hawk were seen - just a hint of a migration - but lots of Canada Geese=2C=
 and a few flocks of American Black Ducks and Mallards.

=20

   A brief stop at the Hawboldts in Belleisle added a Savannah Sparrow and =
allowed some of our group better views than they had had of nuthatches=2C w=
oodpeckers=2C and other feeder birds.  By the time we finished at the wharf=
 in Annapolis Royal=2C the tide was rising again=2C and the Buffleheads and=
 a Common Loon were putting on good shows there and provoding a satisfying =
ending for our trip. =20

=20

      As well as to Audrey Wellwood and the Hawboldts=2C special thanks go =
to the experienced birders along who helped us find the goodies and showed =
them to others or shared their knowledge - especially Richard Stern=2C Bern=
ard Forsythe=2C James Hirtle=2C and Clarence Stevens Sr. & Jr.   With that =
many participants=2C unofficial leaders are very helpful.  And thanks to al=
l who came out and so helped us enjoy this second day of spring.   I hope t=
o see you again on more outings this year.

=20

=20

Wayne Neily=20
Tremont=2C Kings Co.=2C Nova Scotia=20

"Beauty is truth=2C and truth beauty=2C" - John Keats=2C 1820.=20

Reinvent how you stay in touch with the new Windows Live Messenger.
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=3D9650731=

--_0d338462-7a23-4eac-8aa4-07c37d7bba07_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Hello folks:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B Just a brief note for those interested.&nbsp=3B--&=
nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B The joint NSBS-BNS-AFNC outing Saturday went very well=2C t=
hanks to great weather&nbsp=3Band a good turn-out - both of people and bird=
s.&nbsp=3B Apologies for duplications - I cannot always remember who is on =
NatureNS.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B We started out with 21 participants and ab=
out 12 vehicles=2C which limited our possibilities for stops=2C but the ear=
ly high tide forced us to keep up a brisk pace in the a.m. anyway.&nbsp=3B =
I hope that everyone had a chance to meet one or more new potential birding=
 friends=2C as well as getting some&nbsp=3Bnew birds - for the year or the =
county=2C&nbsp=3Bat least.&nbsp=3B We were fortunate to have the Presidents=
 of two of the sponsoring groups along - Pat Kelly of Nova Scotia Bird Soci=
ety and Rick Whitman of Blomidon Naturalists - and I hope that&nbsp=3Bany o=
f you who are not members will consider joining one or more of the three gr=
oups - check out their websites.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BFor the day we had 58 species (59 i=
f we count the Fox Sparrow that Claire Diggins had at her Middleton feeder =
when she got home)=2C none very rare but with a good representation of earl=
y migrants.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B At Audrey Wellwood's bird haven with ravine=2C =
pond=2C and feeders in Aylesford we were able to start with most of the exp=
ected land birds from pheasants to finches=2C including Common Redpoll=2C a=
nd singing Red-winged Blackbirds and Song Sparrows.&nbsp=3B On the way from=
 there to Morden=2C we were able to add more migrants=2C including Northern=
 Flickers=2C a&nbsp=3Bflock of American Robins=2C and a few Common Grackles=
 in a resplendent plumage bely