[NatureNS] Estimating walked distances on CBCs

Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:59:43 -0400
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

make sure that Mouse Navigation is selected if you are using a
At 01:45 AM 12/22/2008, you wrote:
>What's the spatial resolution of the current generation of GPS hand-held units
>under the best conditions?  A few years ago it used to be something like 15
>feet -- has it improved since then?

Yes, it has. I now use a Garmin GPSMAP 60csx
(https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=310) that I got 2
years ago when I was in Texas. I commonly got 4 foot in open
situations and 5 to 6 feet in forest cover. Up here, using it in
metric, I generally get 2M pretty much anywhere except in deep cover.
This is quite an improvement on my old Garmin EMap that rarely got
better than 10 feet in open country...

Phil

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-460-8343

www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                             Michael Hedges