[NatureNS] What to feed yellow-breasted chats

Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 15:32:48 -0400
From: "Ann Morrison" <haggis@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_68442_29019973.1229887968505

I had a chat who stayed the entire winter just a few years back.  I'm trying
to remember... I believe it enjoyed the grapes the most.  Suet definitely.
 And it liked those bird cakes you can get in most grocery stores (but so do
the raccoons!).  Mine stayed in a multi-flora rose bush all winter, so I
imagine it had a good food source there as well.  But grapes... oh and very
small amounts of jam.  That was the winter I put out the clump of jam from
the bottom of the jar.  Only to find out the next day that I had killed a
Chickadee by it getting stuck and covered in jam.  Oh, I still feel awful to
this day.  Back to grapes... I remember someone mentioned that you can get
the loose grapes free from the grocer.
Hope this helps,

Merry Christmas

Ann M.
Halifax

2008/12/21 James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>

>  Hi all:
>
> Two questions here.  Number one, I've no experience or knowledge as to what
> to feed a yellow-breasted chat.  I've been asked this question by someone
> who does not have the internet.  Therefore any response to this from someone
> who has knowledge of this subject, I would be indebted to your answer.
>
> My second question is in regards to the Christmas Bird Counts.  I'm
> assuming I'll need to fill out a rare bird report for the rusty blackbird.
>
> James R. Hirtle
> East LaHave
>

> ------------------------------
> Easily add maps and directions to your online party invites. Click to
> learn how. <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/events.aspx>

------=_Part_68442_29019973.1229887968505

I had a chat who stayed the entire winter just a few years back. &nbsp;I&#39;m trying to remember... I believe it enjoyed the grapes the most. &nbsp;Suet definitely. &nbsp;And it liked those bird cakes you can get in most grocery stores (but so do the raccoons!). &nbsp;Mine stayed in a multi-flora rose bush all winter, so I imagine it had a good food source there as well. &nbsp;But grapes... oh and very small amounts of jam. &nbsp;That was the winter I put out the clump of jam from the bottom of the jar. &nbsp;Only to find out the next day that I had killed a Chickadee by it getting stuck and covered in jam. &nbsp;Oh, I still feel awful to this day. &nbsp;Back to grapes... I remember someone mentioned that you can get the loose grapes free from the grocer.<div>

Hi all:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
Two questions here.&nbsp; Number one, I&#39;ve no experience or knowledge as to what to feed a yellow-breasted chat.&nbsp; I&#39;ve been asked this question by someone who does not have the internet.&nbsp; Therefore any response to this from someone who has knowledge of this subject, I would be indebted to your answer.<br>

&nbsp;<br>
My second question is in regards to the Christmas Bird Counts.&nbsp; I&#39;m assuming I&#39;ll need to fill out a rare bird report for the rusty blackbird.<br>
&nbsp;<br>
James R. Hirtle<br>
East LaHave<br>
&nbsp;<br>