[NatureNS] More decent birds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 17:01:22 +0000

--_fc9c38e7-7627-4dce-9fe2-5e6a2500fa9c_

This morning I was with a photographer friend and we were watching the bird=
s at 40 Archibald Street.  We were parked at the usual location at Brook St=
reet below.  Present were three brown-headed cowbirds with two males and a =
female.  I later up another street had a female brown-headed cowbird and a =
cowbird that for the life of me I could not see the brown on the head=2C wh=
ich should signify a male.  Lighting was good enough and the bird close eno=
ugh that the brown should have shown up.  My friend attempted to photograph=
 this bird=2C but it flew I believe before a good shot or any shot could be=
 obtained.  Anyhow=2C a bird to watch out for as it could be one of those c=
owbirds that are not supposed to be here. =20
=20
The rusty blackbird was present=2C but no signs of the red-bellied woodpeck=
er or the lark sparrow today.
=20
I missed what could have been the best bird of the day.  I saw a bird fly p=
ast just as the owner of the house at 40 Archibald came out and introduced =
herself.  The property is owned by Ella and Russell Boener.  Anyhow=2C the =
bird I thought to just be a brown creeper.  It's actions and the way it lan=
ded on the tree suggested such.  I gave it no more thought.  In the meantim=
e while I was conversing with the house owner=2C my friend with the camera =
was busy photographing.  He is to send me a photo=2C but as far as I can de=
termine the bird looks like either a blackpoll warbler or a black & white w=
arbler.  From the actions I'm leaning towards black & white.  The warbler f=
lew before I could get another look myself and I could not relocate it.  Th=
at will teach me!  Anyhow=2C I'll update once I have the photos and get pos=
itive confirmation.
=20
The other good bird was a pair of white-winged crossbills at Blue Rocks in =
good light.  Very quiet at Garden Lots and Blue Rocks.  In Garden Lots a lo=
ne common grackle was a treat.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_fc9c38e7-7627-4dce-9fe2-5e6a2500fa9c_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
This morning I was with a photographer friend and we were watching the bird=
s at 40 Archibald Street.&nbsp=3B We were parked at the usual location at B=
rook Street below.&nbsp=3B Present were three brown-headed cowbirds with tw=
o males and a female.&nbsp=3B I later up another street had a female brown-=
headed cowbird and a cowbird that for the life of me I could not see the br=
own on the head=2C which should signify a male.&nbsp=3B Lighting was good e=
nough and the bird close enough that the brown should have shown up.&nbsp=
=3B My friend attempted to photograph this bird=2C but it flew I believe be=
fore a good shot or any shot could be obtained.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C a bird to=
 watch out for as it could be one of those cowbirds that are not supposed t=
o be here.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The rusty blackbird was present=2C but no signs of the red-bellied woodpeck=
er or the lark sparrow today.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I missed what could have been the best bird of the day.&nbsp=3B I saw a bir=
d fly past just as the owner of the house at 40 Archibald came out and intr=
oduced herself.&nbsp=3B The property is owned by Ella and Russell Boener.&n=
bsp=3B Anyhow=2C the bird I thought to just be a brown creeper.&nbsp=3B It'=
s actions and the way it landed on the tree suggested such.&nbsp=3B I gave =
it no more thought.&nbsp=3B In the meantime while I was conversing with the=
 house owner=2C my friend with the camera was busy photographing.&nbsp=3B H=
e is to send me a photo=2C but as far as I can determine the bird looks lik=
e either a blackpoll warbler or a black &amp=3B white warbler.&nbsp=3B From=
 the actions I'm leaning towards black &amp=3B white.&nbsp=3B The warbler f=
lew before I could get another look myself and I could not relocate it.&nbs=
p=3B That will teach me!&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C I'll update once I have the phot=
os and get positive confirmation.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The other good bird was a pair of white-winged crossbills at Blue Rocks in =
good light.&nbsp=3B Very quiet at Garden Lots and Blue Rocks.&nbsp=3B In Ga=
rden Lots a lone common grackle was a treat.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<RTE_TEXT></RTE_TEXT><BR><br /><hr />Easily add maps and directi=
ons to your online party invites. <a href=3D'http://www.microsoft.com/windo=
ws/windowslive/events.aspx' target=3D'_new'>Click to learn how.</a></body>

--_fc9c38e7-7627-4dce-9fe2-5e6a2500fa9c_--