[NatureNS] Re: Black Vulture & Canso area update

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 21:33:32 -0400

Hi All.

I suspect that there are two B.V. individuals in the provence right now.

The Black Vulture that has been seen from time to time here all fall I last
seen on Friday around noon along the Glasgow Head Rd. here in Canso. That's
the same road to the Western King Bird which was still present on friday as
well. With the great distance and short time I'd say are different birds.

There's at least one of the GH Sparrows still with us. The one @ the Marina

The Sora is still here but has relocated along the stream that goes to the
"Dam" from the pond it was in.

The Green Herron hasn't been seen since the big rain earlier in the week.

I found a flock of 6-7 Pine Warblers (2-3m, 1 imm m/f, 2 f) along main
street.

4 OC Warblers with one flock of BCCH, 2 more in each of 2 aditional flocks
of BCCH, and single birds within several (3) other flocks of chickadee. I've
seen no less then 11 OC Warblers on Friday. Still lots of YR warb. along the
shores (in the Bay Berries) and a few mixed in with the BCCH that are
sticking to the edges of the feilds/shores.

A few Orioles in the area but are not comming to feeders. They continue to
be seen with the A Robins in the Heavy winter Berry crop (Holly and M. Ash)
With such an abundance in the area of natural food there seems to be no need
to rely on our "meager" offerings (right now).

M and F Wood Duck in the Dam

The W. Snipe persists in the Sports complex near the festival office.

RT Hawk (not common any time here) seen hunting over the chapel gully area.

P. Falcon seen hunting over the sports complex several times this week.

We're now sure that there is 2 male and 1 female RB Woodpeckers in town.

Killdeer seems setteled in at the Marina

Lots of Juv. N. Gannets continue to plug away in the harbour.

Building #'s of winter ducks and Eagles in the area.
Even with the mild weather every other day the birds still know what the
season is.

With Alexander 9 (10 in Jan), Kaitlyn 7, and Terri (who always seems to have
enough spirit for us all) we spent the day putting up the Christmass Tree
and getting the house ready for the the big day.

Good Winter Birding
Happy Holidays
Tom K
Canso