[NatureNS] Brown headed cowbird

From: Dennis Hippern <dhippern@hotmail.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 2008 01:40:11 -0400

--_a38b805b-09a8-4e71-904c-ca7ebf69cfe8_

Hello all=2C
Today (Thurs) at 10:00 at the corner of Clifford and Anderson in Woodlawn a=
rea of Dartmouth=2C
I saw an adult male Brown-headed Cowbird in the company of several House Sp=
arrows. They
were in the Multi-flora rose bush tangle behind the pumping station. From t=
here=2C I walked=20
around Landrace Park. At the Portland St end of the park there were two Rob=
ins and one
male Cardinal.=20
I walked north on Clifford to John Martins' feeders at 14 Clifford where I =
saw the B.H.C.B.
again (10:20). It was activily feeding with House Sparrows and Starlings. T=
here was also
one male Cardinal present.
With overcast skys and a light mist the viewing conditions were not ideal b=
ut I got a good=20
look from less than ten meters. This bird had a dark eye=2C black bill and =
legs=2C a dark chocolate
brown head and uniformally black body. The image on page 441 of National Ge=
ographic=2C "Birds
of North America" third edition closely resembles the bird I saw.
Cheers
Dennis Hippern (DHH)
Cole Harbour

--_a38b805b-09a8-4e71-904c-ca7ebf69cfe8_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
Hello all=2C<BR>
Today (Thurs)&nbsp=3Bat 10:00 at the corner of Clifford and Anderson in Woo=
dlawn area of Dartmouth=2C<BR>
I saw an adult male Brown-headed Cowbird in the company of several House Sp=
arrows. They<BR>
were in the Multi-flora rose bush tangle behind the pumping station. From t=
here=2C I walked <BR>
around Landrace Park. At the Portland St end of the park there were two Rob=
ins and one<BR>
male Cardinal. <BR>
I walked north on Clifford to John Martins' feeders at 14 Clifford where I =
saw the B.H.C.B.<BR>
again (10:20). It was activily feeding with House Sparrows and Starlings.&n=
bsp=3BThere was also<BR>
one male Cardinal present.<BR>
With overcast skys and a light mist the viewing conditions were not ideal b=
ut I got a good <BR>
look from less than ten meters. This bird had a dark eye=2C black bill and =
legs=2C a dark chocolate<BR>
brown head and uniformally black body. The image on page 441 of National Ge=
ographic=2C "Birds<BR>
of North America" third edition closely resembles the bird I saw.<BR>
Cheers<BR>
Dennis Hippern (DHH)<BR>

--_a38b805b-09a8-4e71-904c-ca7ebf69cfe8_--