[NatureNS] Summer Tanager in South End Halifax - update

Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:05:39 -0400
To: NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>

--=====================_1065843==.ALT

Hi there,

         Today at lunchtime, when I was walking home along Cambridge
Street, a local resident introduced me to another as the
"neighbourhood naturalist".  The woman I met immediately wanted to
tell me about the most beautiful and unusual yellowy-green bird which
she had seen yesterday afternoon (9th December). She saw it in the
backyard of a house on the south end of Coburg Road, which backs onto
Waegwoltic Avenue. I asked her about the size of the bird and she was
a little vague about that - bigger than a chickadee, perhaps
...  However from the description I am pretty sure that the bird she
saw was the Summer Tanager.

         Incidentally, Etta Parker who lives in the area told Laurel
Banks that the bird had been present for several weeks already when I
reported it!

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

>Date:   Fri, 05 Dec 2008 23:43:25 -0400
>To:     NatureNS <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
>From:   "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
>Subject: [NatureNS] Birds near Conrose Field, Halifax: Summer Tanager etc.
>
>Hi there,
>
>         Today at lunchtime I saw a female Summer Tanager on
> Waegwoltic Avenue, just east of Conrose Field, in south end
> Halifax.  Laurel Banks first saw it on Wednesday in her backyard,
> and it has been frequenting the neighborhood since then.  It was
> seen flycatching around brick chimneys, and moving between the
> shrubs, in front of several houses on Waegwoltic Avenue between
> Conrose Avenue and Cambridge Street.  It should be looked for in
> the backyards bounded by Waegwoltic, Geldert, Cambridge, and
> Conrose.  Another good spot to look would be in the tangles along
> the footpath between Conrose Field and Coburg Road.  It moves
> around quickly but was often in the open, so it wasn't that hard to see.

--=====================_1065843==.ALT

Hi there,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Today at
lunchtime, when I was walking home along Cambridge Street, a local
resident introduced me to another as the &quot;neighbourhood
naturalist&quot;.&nbsp; The woman I met immediately wanted to tell me
about the most beautiful and unusual yellowy-green bird which she had
seen yesterday afternoon (9th December). She saw it in the backyard of a
house on the south end of Coburg Road, which backs onto Waegwoltic
Avenue. I asked her about the size of the bird and she was a little vague
about that - bigger than a chickadee, perhaps ...&nbsp; However from the
description I am pretty sure that the bird she saw was the Summer
Tanager.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>
Incidentally, Etta Parker who lives in the area told Laurel Banks that
the bird had been present for several weeks already when I reported
it!<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><x-tab>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
2008 23:43:25 -0400<br>
&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Today at
lunchtime I saw a female Summer Tanager on Waegwoltic Avenue, just east
of Conrose Field, in south end Halifax.&nbsp; Laurel Banks first saw it
on Wednesday in her backyard, and it has been frequenting the
neighborhood since then.&nbsp; It was seen flycatching around brick
chimneys, and moving between the shrubs, in front of several houses on
Waegwoltic Avenue between Conrose Avenue and Cambridge Street.&nbsp; It
should be looked for in the backyards bounded by Waegwoltic, Geldert,
Cambridge, and Conrose.&nbsp; Another good spot to look would be in the
tangles along the footpath between Conrose Field and Coburg Road.&nbsp;
It moves around quickly but was often in the open, so it wasn't that hard