[NatureNS] Gaspereau River Headpond at White Rock

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 18:38:26 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_020E_01C9589A.FDD74040

GASPEREAU RIVER HEADPOND AT WHITE ROCK

I had a great excursion by canoe early this morning on the headpond at =
White Rock. Sightings included: 14 COMMON GOLDENEYE; 8 MERGANSERS; 5 =
BALD EAGLES (2 mature / 3 immature); 20=B1 CHICKADEES; 2+ WB NUTHATCHES; =
7=B1 RAVENS; 1 BEAVER.=20

It was a cool and overcast morning, but very calm and quiet. Very little =
ice, save overnight ice around the fringes. The eagles were in a calling =
mood, making lots of whistle-like calls. One mature eagle seemed to sit =
in the crown of a white pine on the south side of the pond the entire =
time I was on the water. The ravens were also in a jovial and vocal =
mood, chasing and somersaulting, making lots of throaty, percussive =
sounds. I spotted one particular raven I've seen at White Rock off and =
on over the past few months. With several feathers missing out of the =
middle of its left wing it's easy to spot, looking like a comb with a =
broken tooth. I wonder if it recognizes me, too? I have both green and =
red canoes and switch from trip to trip, so he might mistake me for two =
different foolhardy early risers.

Birds seemed active back in town too, with much activity afoot in our =
backyard just ahead of the bad weather. First time visitors in our yard =
(this season) included a rather a well-fed looking male PHEASANT =
investigating some pallets my older son set up for snowboarding tricks, =
a male and female pair of CARDINALS, and a small flock of GOLDFINCHES. =
Guess it's high time we filled the feeders.

All right, I'll lay-off posting for a while. I'm just happy I got loose =
on the land a bit this weekend and, like those jolly ravens, wanted to =
call out my contentment. Croak! Croak!

Andrew Steeves

Wolfville, NS

------=_NextPart_000_020E_01C9589A.FDD74040

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE>.hmmessage P {
	PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: =
0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
BODY.hmmessage {
	FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6001.18148" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY class=3Dhmmessage bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV>
<P align=3Dleft>GASPEREAU RIVER HEADPOND AT WHITE ROCK</P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft>I had a great excursion&nbsp;by canoe early this morning =
on the=20
headpond at White Rock. Sightings included: 14 COMMON GOLDENEYE; 8 =
MERGANSERS; 5=20
BALD EAGLES (2 mature / 3 immature); 20=B1 CHICKADEES; 2+ WB NUTHATCHES; =
7=B1=20
RAVENS; 1 BEAVER. </P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=3Dleft>It was a cool and overcast morning, but very calm and =
quiet. Very=20
little ice, save overnight ice around the fringes. The eagles were in a =
calling=20
mood, making lots of whistle-like calls. One mature eagle seemed to sit =
in the=20
crown of a white pine on the south side of the pond the entire time I =
was on the=20
water. The ravens were also in a jovial and vocal mood, chasing and=20
somersaulting, making lots of throaty, percussive sounds. I =
spotted&nbsp;one=20
particular raven I=92ve seen at White Rock off and on over the past few =
months.=20
With several feathers missing out of the middle of its left wing it's =
easy to=20
spot, looking like a comb with a broken tooth. I wonder if it recognizes =
me,=20
too? I have both green and red canoes and switch from trip to trip, so =
he might=20
mistake me for two&nbsp;different foolhardy early risers.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=3Dleft>Birds seemed active back in town too, with much activity =
afoot in=20
our backyard just ahead of the bad weather. First time visitors in our =
yard=20
(this season) included a rather a well-fed looking male PHEASANT =
investigating=20
some pallets my older son set up for snowboarding tricks, a male and =
female pair=20
of CARDINALS, and a small flock of GOLDFINCHES. Guess it=92s high time =
we filled=20
the feeders.</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=3Dleft>All right, I=92ll lay-off posting for a while. I=92m =
just happy&nbsp;I=20
got&nbsp;loose on the land a bit this weekend and, like those jolly =
ravens,=20
wanted to call out my contentment. Croak! Croak!</P>
<P align=3Dleft></P>
<P align=3Dleft><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</P>
<P align=3Dleft>Andrew Steeves</P>
<P align=3Dleft>Wolfville, NS</P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3D"Microsoft Sans =
Serif"></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_020E_01C9589A.FDD74040--