[NatureNS] Windsor today

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:22:25 -0400

WINDSOR SEWAGE LAGOONS
2:30, clear, mild, stiff breeze - about 2 hours before high tide.

12 American Wigeon - those "bald pates" were just gleaming in the sun.
50 Black Ducks
5 Mallard
40 GBB Gulls
50+ Herring Gulls
Lots of starlings and pigeons.

CURRY'S CORNER
6-700 Canada Geese feeding in the field between College Street and Highway
14. A constant stream of ducks flew over from somewhere nearby. A few Ravens
were also in the same field.

They were watched by a Red Tailed Hawk that seldom left a fence post the
whole time I was there. It was eating when I arrived but obviously still
hungry. This bird has a mature red tail but a completely white underside. I
could see no marks or streaks from its beak to its feet. With the wind
fluffing out the feathers there were times when its underside looked more
like an owl than a hawk. Another and normally coloured, Red Tail patrolled
low over the ditches in the field. A Third Red Tail was patrolling the
causeway when I was on my way home.

John Belbin - Hantsport