[NatureNS] Black River Lake

From: "Andrew Steeves" <andrew@gaspereau.com>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 17:34:41 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0316_01C9556D.6C5AB550

Thought I'd get one more paddle in of Black River Lake before freeze-up. =
I left from Methals Dam and went down to the south-west end of the lake =
to an Island owned by a friend of mine and took our lunch by a campfire. =
Great day for it. dead calm before lunch. A little wind on the way home. =
We had to break through a few patches of ice when we passed between some =
of the back channels between the islands and the mainland, but nothing =
serious.=20

Quiet for birds other than chickadees and bald eagles (I think there =
were only two eagles, which we saw more than once). I also a small, =
long-legged hawk but we were too far from it to make a positive =
identification.

In the mammal department, signs of beavers here and there, and a couple =
of red squirrels.

My friend Susan has spent a great deal of her life on this lake, but had =
never been out to her island in December. With the deciduous trees =
defoliated, the landscape takes on quiet a different character. There =
was a fresh blanket of orange pine needles down. I had a great time =
looking at lichen, particularly pixie cups. Anyway, going to a place you =
usually see in summer in the off season is always an eye opener.

Andrew
GASPEREAU PRESS =B6 PRINTERS & PUBLISHERS
47 CHURCH AVE., KENTVILLE, NOVA SCOTIA
902 678 6002   www.gaspereau.com
------=_NextPart_000_0316_01C9556D.6C5AB550

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thought I'd get one more paddle in of Black River =
Lake before=20
freeze-up. I left from Methals Dam and went down to the south-west end =
of the=20
lake to an Island owned by a friend of mine and took our lunch by a =
campfire.=20
Great day for it. dead calm before lunch. A little wind on the way home. =
We had=20
to break through a few patches of ice when we passed between some of the =
back=20
channels between the islands and the mainland, but nothing=20
serious.&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Quiet for birds other than chickadees and bald =
eagles&nbsp;(I=20
think there were only two eagles, which we saw more than once).&nbsp;I =
also a=20
small, long-legged hawk but we were too far from it to make a positive=20
identification.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>In the mammal department, signs of beavers here and =
there, and=20
a couple of red squirrels.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>My friend Susan has spent a great deal of her life =
on this=20
lake, but had never been out to her island in December. With the =
deciduous trees=20
defoliated, the landscape takes on quiet a different character. There =
was a=20
fresh&nbsp;blanket of orange pine needles down. I had a great time=20
looking&nbsp;at lichen, particularly pixie cups. </FONT><FONT =
size=3D2>Anyway,=20
going to a place you usually see in summer in the off season is always =
an eye=20
opener.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Andrew</FONT></DIV>
PRESS =B6=20
PRINTERS &amp; PUBLISHERS<BR>47 CHURCH AVE., KENTVILLE, NOVA =
SCOTIA<BR>902 678=20
6002&nbsp;&nbsp; <A=20
href=3D"http://www.gaspereau.com">www.gaspereau.com</A></DIV></BODY></HTM=

------=_NextPart_000_0316_01C9556D.6C5AB550--