[NatureNS] Canso Area Nov 29th NSBS Walk

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:56:42 -0400
From: Stephen Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

  &lt;DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"&g
I'd side with Dave not Liz.
Ignoring whether 'pickier' is even an appropriate word to use in
genteel writing
like this on NNS, "pickier than I" would be the conventional English language
contraction of the lengthier but correct "pickier than I [am]":
omission of the
"am" would be well understood as normal usage by an experienced English
writer.
Even today, you can't write "pickier than me am".
Regrettably, Liz's comment is also appropriate in one way -- almost 'anything
goes' these days.  The broader picture is that language evolves and that good
dictionaries try to reflect current usage, so that "pickier than I" may
soon be
declared archaic outside the confines of Wolfville.
I've left in at least two adjectivalized nouns and a mixture of single and
double quotation marks to allow someone to set me straight on proper usage
there. There is no last word on language...
Steve