[NatureNS] Canso Area Nov 29th NSBS Walk

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 10:57:19 -0400
From: Peter Payzant <pce@accesswave.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;div&gt;&lt;font face="Arial" size="2"&gt;4-5 Dickcissels (an easy study at my feeders)&lt;/font&gt;&lt;

--Boundary_(ID_0okHNdDRWZbcGj4z3Yy8Dg)

Randy, Randy, Randy...

"Stellar" means "of stars". None of these objects are stars, so in this
case "stellar" probably means "really wonderful."

Peter Payzant

Randy Lauff wrote:
> [...]
> Jupiters moons through a scope."
>
> Of course you're going to have "stellar" views...these are celestial
> bodies, after all!!!
>
> Randy!
>
> 2008/11/30 Terri Crane <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca
> <mailto:terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>>
>
>     Hi Everyone
>
>     Despite the forecast our walk was well attended with 19-20
>     birders. Some of whom travelled from New Brunswick and others from
>     the merto area and other parts of the province.
>
>     Early morning to mid morning weather wasn't great at the best of
>     times BUT by late morning when the wind finally got around to the
>     west it cleared up quite quickly.
>
>     When we compiled our lists and memories for the day we were
>     delighted to have found 76 species for the day that was up 3
>     species from the day before and 14 species detected on Friday were
>     missed OR we just ran out of light.
>

>     Some Highlights were!
>

>     W. Kingbird (very well studied and photographer at 60-70' along
>     the "Glasgow Head Road")
>     Green Heron (very shy but seen by all as it flew)
>     2 Grasshopper Sparrows (1 in the Marina provided a 8-10 min. view
>     in the wide open in a fire pit, the second one on the water tower
>     hill behaved more as expected for this species and gave only a
>     couple fleeting glimpses.)
>     Sora (well seen by most and photographed by some)
>     N. Goshawk (flying along Dover Harbour)
>     RB Woodpecker (at my feeders)
>     4-5 Dickcissels (an easy study at my feeders)
>     Rusty BB (seen breifly at my feeders)
>     5 OC Warblers (dispersed)
>     Pine Warbler (traveling with a flock of chickadees near Flaherty
>     Street)
>     2 Indigo Bunting (at the sports complex)
>     Piebilled Greeb (Chapel Gully)
>     RT loon (near the Marina)
>     A Bittern (not that common in our area seen in the dam)
>     SS Hawk, N Harrier, Merlin, Kestrel, and B. Eagle rounded out the
>     birds of prey
>
>     Some of the above listed birds were lifers for some in the group
>     and a few lucky birders picked up 2-4 lifers for the day. A real
>     bonus for them and helps create a feeling of worth for the trip.
>

>     With the very large crop of "winter berries" (M. Ash, &
>     Hollyberry) the ever building flocks of robins should be well fed
>     for a while. We probably have a couple thousand A. Robins in the
>     area now. I saw one flock of 8-900 circling over the town last week.
>
>     Our trip came to a conclusion in Little Dover. Alexander (my son)
>     drew our attention to the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter for
>     which we enjoyed stellar views of the planets and 3 of Jupiters
>     moons through a scope. Our attention was drawn to the stunning
>     view of the high pass of the ISS. As the space station faded from
>     view so to ended our wonderful day in the feild taking in all
>     natures beauty in the accompaniment of old and new freinds!
>
>     Thanks to all who took part in making this walk a success.

<head>
</head>
"Stellar" means "of stars". None of these objects are stars, so in this
case "stellar" probably means "really wonderful."<br>
Peter Payzant<br>
Randy Lauff wrote:
 cite="mid:cdbbab570812010650n514f941ewfb9b168fa89c78d5@mail.gmail.com"
 type="cite">
Venus and Jupiter for which we enjoyed stellar views of the planets and
3 of Jupiters moons through a scope."</div>
celestial bodies, after all!!!</div>
 style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0px 0px 0px 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
well attended with 19-20 birders. Some of whom travelled from New
Brunswick and others from the merto area and other parts of the
province.</font></div>
weather wasn't great at the best of times BUT by late morning when the
wind finally got around to the west it cleared up quite quickly.</font></div>
memories for the day we were delighted to have found 76 species for the
day that was up 3 species from the day before and 14 species detected
on Friday were missed OR we just ran out of light.</font></div>