[NatureNS] Decent Birds Today

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>,
Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 04:21:51 +0000

--_fc6bcf82-30fa-42c3-a86e-078e03dcad58_

David Walmark and I took a stroll out along Kingsburg Beach and towards Hel=
ls Point today.  Birds of mention were a light phase rough-legged hawk=2C t=
wo black-bellied plovers=2C a yet to be determined shorebird travelling wit=
h them=2C probably a red knot=2C but photos sent off to rule out another po=
ssibility.  The bird had white above the tail and too much streaking around=
 the face for my liking.  There were a number of red-necked grebes and comm=
on goldeneyes were back.  Also present were six Bonaparte gulls.
=20
The description for my shorebird is as follows:  About 9-10 inches.  Not mu=
ch difference in size between the two black-bellies plovers.  In fact upon =
finding the birds I thought that it was three black-bellied plovers until f=
urther investigation.  This bird is travelling with the two black-bellied p=
lovers.  There is a brown stripe in front of the eye that runs to the bill.=
  A white supercillum is above the eye.  There is streaking on the face and=
 the head and down the chest.  On the chest there is V shaped mottling unti=
l quarter way=2C which is quite heavy.  The wings are black tipped and whit=
e shows for quite a ways up above the tail.  Overall the bird is a very pal=
e grey color.  The bill is all black like that of a red knot=2C but not lon=
g enough or thin enough for a stilt sandpiper.  The bill is about two inche=
s.  The legs of the bird are green.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_fc6bcf82-30fa-42c3-a86e-078e03dcad58_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
font-size: 10pt=3B
font-family:Verdana
}
</head>
David Walmark and I took a stroll out along Kingsburg Beach and towards Hel=
ls Point today.&nbsp=3B Birds of mention were a light phase rough-legged ha=
wk=2C two black-bellied plovers=2C a yet to be determined shorebird travell=
ing with them=2C probably a red knot=2C but photos sent off to rule out ano=
ther possibility.&nbsp=3B The bird had white above the tail and too much st=
reaking around the face for my liking.&nbsp=3B There were a number of red-n=
ecked grebes and common goldeneyes were back.&nbsp=3B Also present were six=
 Bonaparte gulls.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The description for my shorebird is as follows:&nbsp=3B About 9-10 inches.&=
nbsp=3B Not much difference in size between the two black-bellies plovers.&=
nbsp=3B In fact upon finding the birds I thought that it was three black-be=
llied plovers until further investigation.&nbsp=3B This bird is travelling =
with the two black-bellied plovers.&nbsp=3B There is a brown stripe in fron=
t of the eye that runs to the bill.&nbsp=3B A white supercillum is above th=
e eye.&nbsp=3B There is streaking on the face and the head and down the che=
st.&nbsp=3B On the chest there is V shaped mottling until quarter way=2C wh=
ich is quite heavy.&nbsp=3B The wings are black tipped and white shows for =
quite a ways up above the tail.&nbsp=3B Overall the bird is a very pale gre=
y color.&nbsp=3B The bill is all black like that of a red knot=2C but not l=
ong enough or thin enough for a stilt sandpiper.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3BThe bill is=
 about two inches.&nbsp=3B The legs of the bird are green.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<RTE_TEXT></RTE_TEXT><BR><br /><hr />Win a trip with your 3 best=
 buddies. <a href=3D'http://www.messengerbuddies.ca/?ocid=3DBUDDYOMATICENCA=
19' target=3D'_new'>Enter today.</a></body>

--_fc6bcf82-30fa-42c3-a86e-078e03dcad58_--