[NatureNS] RE: Snowy Owl - Kennetcook

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 14:02:59 -0500
From: "Laviolette, Lance (EXP)" <lance.laviolette@lmco.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Rolland McCormick wrote:

> Has anyone kept a record of the number of snowy owls seen
> this fall?  It seems to me we have had a lot more reported
> than usual. A few years ago they were rather rare - this year
> they seem to be more plentiful.

There are almost always some sightings of Snowy Owls in southern Canada
in winter but there is no question that there is a major southerly
movement of Snowy Owls this year. In addition to several individuals
being reported around Nova Scotia and Liz's report of large numbers
being seen at Cape Race in Newfoundland, there are reports of
concentrations in Quebec along the St. Lawrence River east of Quebec
City, of birds in Ontario as far south as Lake Erie and I believe there
are also large numbers in southern Saskatchewan.

These southern 'pushes' of northern owl species, in this case Snowy
Owls, are generally the result of too many owls for too few small
mammals in the northern areas that they normally stay in in winter.

All the best,

Lance
Lance Laviolette
Glen Robertson, Ontario