[NatureNS] West Lawrencetown Birds

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:54:44 -0400
From: Brian Dalzell <aythya@nb.sympatico.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

I have seen this same behaviour (sort of), in association with
Ring-necked Ducks in a deep coastal barachois pond (<5% salt content)
here at Grand Manan.  The wigeons are always in close association with
the ring-necks, and are quick to grab any "crumb" that floats to the top
after the diving ducks have dislodged it from the bottom.  In fact, I
would guess they get most of their food this way.