[NatureNS] Greenbrier along Medway River

From: "Dusan Soudek" <soudekd@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:06:13 -0400

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C947DB.569A1C00

   Yesterday, during a leisurely canoe trip down Queens County's Medway =
River, I'd found two extensive populations of Greenbrier (a.k.a. =
Catbrier), Smilax rotundifolia L. Petrides' 'A Field Guide to Trees and =
Shrubs'  calls our species of this woody, spiney vine 'Common =
Greenbrier.'=20
    Both populations are located between Greenfield and Bangs Falls, =
very close to the river and probably experiencing seasonal flooding.  =
According to Marion Zinck's (Munro's) 'Roland's Flora of Nova Scotia,' =
the Medway is about the northern limit of this Southern shrub's range in =
Nova Scotia. It is found from Florida and Texas to southern Ontario. =
Greenbrier is somewhat unique in that it is Nova Scotia's only woody =
monocot.=20
   I had been canoeing the Medway for the past thirty years but never =
knew that this odd prickly green-stemmed vine grew there...
   Dusan Soudek =20

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C947DB.569A1C00

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>&nbsp;&nbsp; Yesterday, during a leisurely canoe =
trip down=20
Queens County's Medway River, I'd found two extensive populations of =
Greenbrier=20
(a.k.a. Catbrier), <EM>Smilax rotundifolia </EM>L. Petrides' 'A Field =
Guide to=20
Trees and Shrubs' &nbsp;calls our species of this woody, spiney vine =
'Common=20
Greenbrier.'&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Both populations are located =
between=20
Greenfield and Bangs Falls, very close to the river and probably =
experiencing=20
seasonal flooding.</FONT>&nbsp; According to Marion Zinck's (Munro's) =
'Roland's=20
Flora of Nova Scotia,' the Medway is about the northern limit of this =
Southern=20
shrub's range in Nova Scotia. It is found from Florida and Texas to =
southern=20
Ontario.&nbsp;Greenbrier is&nbsp;somewhat unique in that it is Nova =
Scotia's=20
only woody monocot. </DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; I had been canoeing the Medway for the past thirty=20
years&nbsp;but never knew that this odd prickly green-stemmed vine grew=20
there...</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; Dusan Soudek&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0023_01C947DB.569A1C00--