[NatureNS] food for bats? -- was robins and missing feeder

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 12:55:19 -0400
From: "Andrew Hebda" <HEBDAAJ@gov.ns.ca>
To: <NatureNS@chebucto.ns.ca>

 Our common species (Little brown bats, Northern Long-eared bats and Pipistrelles are quite small - in the range of 5 - 6 grams).  They tend to feed on very small food - about the size of small mosquitos, midges, small beetles and microleps (very small moths).  The larger tree bats which appear, sporadically, this time of the year may go for larger prey, but winter moths are a bit too large.  The presence of winter moths at a light suggests they are being attracted by the ultraviolet portion of the light spectrum.

There is still quite a bit of insect flight, especially early in the evenings., although as our day and night temperatures drop, these will disappear, and bat foraging will come to a close.

Most of our bats are now in their hibernation sites, but do come out and forage as long as there is food.  This is called fall swarming.

Cheers

Andrew

A Hebda
Nova Scotia Museum

>>> "James W. Wolford" <jimwolford@eastlink.ca> 11/12/2008 12:31 pm >>>
Concerning what late bats might eat, on Monday night (Nov. 10) I saw
dozens of winged male WINTER MOTHS in east Wolfville, attracted to
residential lights.  Cheers from Jim in Wolfville.

Begin forwarded message: