[NatureNS] Cave Swallow and Brant in Florence, CBRM

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 13:25:21 -0400
From: David McCorquodale <david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca>
To: "naturens@chebucto.ns.ca" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>

--Boundary_(ID_TZwJqP5MVMJKzz3mOjT5gw)

Two unusual sightings at Florence (Big Pond) on Tuesday 11 November 2008

Just after 9:00 this morning I saw what I believe was a Cave Swallow at Big
Pond Beach in Florence, CBRM.  The light band across the back of the neck,
light throat, buffy rump and overall relatively stocky appearance (short
wings and tail) for a swallow were noted.  All strongly suggest a Cave
Swallow
=20
Just prior to this I found a Brant feeding in the shallows along with a
small group of American Black Ducks.
=20
Other sightings this morning in the Florence area:

American Wigeon, > 30 in Florence, 45 at a sewage lagoon in Sydney Mines
Barrow=B9s Goldeneye, 1 at Florence, another in North Sydney
Lesser Scaup, at least 6 along with more than 100 Greater Scaup
Hooded Merganser, 3

Red-throated Loon, at least 18 (only 2 Common Loon)
Pied-billed Grebe, 2

Iceland Gull, > 35

Common Redpoll, 25 feeding on alder seeds

DBMcC

On 11/9/08 4:13 PM, "Ian Mclaren" <iamclar@dal.ca> wrote:

> =20
> =20
>=20
> All:
>=20
> Stu Tingley has suggested that New Brunswickers be alert for incoming
> ("Mexican/Texan") Cave Swallows, which have appeared recently at Pt. Pele=
e,
> coastal Conn, and even Tadoussac, QC. (Maybe other s.w. species could app=
ear
> as
> well.)
>=20
> Certainly the weather setup of late has been propitious, with strong airf=
low
> across the s-central USA and s.w. up the Atlantic Coast, including here, =
set
> up
> by a big low recently centered over James Bay. See, e.g., the pressure an=
> wind
> patterns early this morning at 850 hP (probably a good altitude for migra=
tion)
> at the Envir. Canada site:
>=20
> http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/analysis/saa_50.gif
>=20
> Cheers, Ian McLaren
>=20
> =20
>=20

David McCorquodale
Department of Biology
Cape Breton University
Box 5300, 1250 Grand Lake Rd., Sydney, NS B1P 6L2, CANADA
902-563-1260    david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca  FAX: 902-563-1880

Department of Biology, Cape Breton University
http://discovery.capebretonu.ca/biology
http://www.cbufa.ca/news

Biological Survey of Canada (Terrestrial Arthropods)
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/bschome.htm

------ End of Forwarded Message

--Boundary_(ID_TZwJqP5MVMJKzz3mOjT5gw)

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Cave Swallow and Brant in Florence, CBRM</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT FACE="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:11pt'><BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT FACE="Times New Roman"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:12pt'>Two unusual sightings at Florence (Big Pond) on Tuesday 11 November 2008<BR>
<BR>
Just after 9:00 this morning I saw what I believe was a Cave Swallow at Big Pond Beach in Florence, CBRM. &nbsp;The light band across the back of the neck, light throat, buffy rump and overall relatively stocky appearance (short wings and tail) for a swallow were noted. &nbsp;All strongly suggest a Cave Swallow<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Just prior to this I found a Brant feeding in the shallows along with a small group of American Black Ducks.<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
Other sightings this morning in the Florence area:<BR>
<BR>
American Wigeon, &gt; 30 in Florence, 45 at a sewage lagoon in Sydney Mines<BR>
Barrow&#8217;s Goldeneye, 1 at Florence, another in North Sydney<BR>
Lesser Scaup, at least 6 along with more than 100 Greater Scaup<BR>
Hooded Merganser, 3<BR>
<BR>
Red-throated Loon, at least 18 (only 2 Common Loon)<BR>
Pied-billed Grebe, 2<BR>
<BR>
Iceland Gull, &gt; 35<BR>
<BR>
Common Redpoll, 25 feeding on alder seeds<BR>
<BR>
DBMcC<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><FONT FACE="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:11pt'>On 11/9/08 4:13 PM, &quot;Ian Mclaren&quot; &lt;iamclar@dal.ca&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:11pt'> <BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
All:<BR>
<BR>
Stu Tingley has suggested that New Brunswickers be alert for incoming<BR>
(&quot;Mexican/Texan&quot;) Cave Swallows, which have appeared recently at Pt. Pelee,<BR>
coastal Conn, and even Tadoussac, QC. (Maybe other s.w. species could appear as<BR>
well.)<BR>
<BR>
Certainly the weather setup of late has been propitious, with strong airflow<BR>
across the s-central USA and s.w. up the Atlantic Coast, including here, set up<BR>
by a big low recently centered over James Bay. See, e.g., the pressure and wind<BR>
patterns early this morning at 850 hP (probably a good altitude for migration)<BR>
at the Envir. Canada site:<BR>
<BR>
http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/data/analysis/saa_50.gif<BR>
<BR>
Cheers, Ian McLaren<BR>
<BR>
&nbsp;<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT FACE="Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial"><SPAN STYLE='font-size:11pt'><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
David McCorquodale<BR>
Department of Biology<BR>
Cape Breton University<BR>
Box 5300, 1250 Grand Lake Rd., Sydney, NS B1P 6L2, CANADA<BR>
902-563-1260 &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;david_mccorquodale@cbu.ca &nbsp;FAX: 902-563-1880<BR>
<BR>
Department of Biology, Cape Breton University<BR>
http://discovery.capebretonu.ca/biology<BR>
http://www.cbufa.ca/news<BR>
<BR>
Biological Survey of Canada (Terrestrial Arthropods)<BR>
http://www.biology.ualberta.ca/bsc/bschome.htm<BR>
<BR>
------ End of Forwarded Message<BR>
</SPAN></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_TZwJqP5MVMJKzz3mOjT5gw)--