[NatureNS] Re: Tufted Titmouse - a point of semantics

Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2008 13:20:32 -0400
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_118998_25081568.1225819234112

Hi,

Just for the record (!), I'm not sure what "a confirmed record" for NS
comprises, as far as rarities are concerned. Up to now there has been no
Records Committee to vet rarities, although there is now one still in its
infancy. Whose job is it to "confirm" a record anyway?

Records have of course been reported for years to NS Birds, but more often
than not with the dreaded "no details". There are various check-lists of
birds that include birds that may occcur in NS, including the NSBS printed
one, one incorporated by Tony White into Avisys, the birds listed in Tufts,
the birds listed in one of the appendices in Blake Maybank's book,  etc.
etc.  Other Provinces and states have "official" lists, that often include
"sight only, hypothetical, etc. records. NS still doesn't really have one.

Anyone really interested in this subject (which is rather esoteric and
pointless to some, and of great importance to others) should try and get
hold of the British Birds Rarities Committee Annual  Reports, and see how
they handle this stuff. Here in NS the birding community is small enough,
and peoples' sensitivities are great enough, that we should avoid alienating
people by insisting on information that may not be reasonably available -
after all, birding is supposed to be enjoyable and fun - isn't it?

Anyway, I hope the mystery Halifax bird turns out to be a Tufted Titmouse!

Richard

--
Richard Stern,

------=_Part_118998_25081568.1225819234112