[NatureNS] Snowy Owl in Colchester Co.

From: <aythya@nb.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 17:17:54 -0400

I was helping shingle my cousin's woodshed Saturday afternoon (25 Oct) when at
about 2:30 pm I heard a raven high overhead giving its chase call -- the one
usually reserved for eagles and other large raptors.  Without binoculars I
looked up and saw that it was attempting to climb up and intercept a Red-tailed
Hawk, which was circling above it.  Both birds were about 500 meters high and
moving from west to east along parallel to the Cobequid Mountains.  This was at
Mill Brook, about 5km east of Mattatal Lake (pg. 29 in NS atlas).

Went to get my binoculars for a closer look and was surprised to see the Red-
tail resolve into a heavily-barred juvenile SNOWY OWL.  By this time the raven
had powered up to the owl and was now above it and forcing it down.  Both birds
had now turned north toward the Lake Road.  I watched for a minute as the chase
continued and birds flew out of sight, the owl being forced lower and lower all
the time.  I have no doubt the raven eventually forced the owl to ground, and
whatever happened after that is anyone's guess.

Brian Dalzell
Mill Brook, NS.