[NatureNS] New York Aster flowers?

From: Steve Shaw <srshaw@dal.ca>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2008 19:46:27 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

28 October:    I recently collected some insects from one of the few
flower sets that are still in bloom in late October, most recently near
York Redoubt in Halifax, and would like a tentative ID for this plant.
  The flowers are 2-3 cm across, have pale blue-violet petals (rays)
with a yellow central disk, multiple heads per stalk and simple
blade-like leaves.  They are very common in clumps at the roadside and
on unused land and look like what I used to call michaelmas daisies.
I counted about 25 petals per head though they are looking quite beaten
up by this date, so perhaps had a few more petals originally.

As a non-botanist, I think these are most likely asters,  either New
York Aster (Symphotrichum novi-belgii), with New England Aster
(Symphotrichum novae-angliae) less likely -- that species should have
~40 petals per head.   Maybe this info is not much to go on for a
possible ID, but does it sound like a reasonable guess, or is there
something else out there that I should be considering instead?

Any suggestions welcome, including "get yourself a decent flower-ID
book".

Steve
Halifax