[NatureNS] Mushrooms, Toadstools & Such

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2008 13:57:05 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: Angus MacLean <angusmcl@ns.sympatico.ca>

Hi Stephen;
The best one I am aware of (and one I just recently acquired) is
"Mushrooms of Ontario & Eastern Canada". This is surprisingly
published by Lone Pine, a publishing company located in Edmonton.
Despite the title the subtitle (found inside) is "Mushrooms of
Northeast North America'!! So I presume it was rebound for the
Eastern Canadian market. Nevertheless 649 species are illustrated &
perhaps most can be found in NS.
Another Guide I have is one of the Peterson Series. It covers about
1000 species but only 500+ are illustrated. I have also a coffee
table edition (those are quite good but do not feature many species)
& one from Minnesota which has proven to be helpful at times. Both
Amazon & Indigo have a great number of books on the subject. Others
touted by others include the National Audubon Guide & another rather
large tome, about 1200 species, by Roger Phillips (?).
Angus