[NatureNS] Windsor Peeps

From: "john belbin" <jbelbin@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "Naturens" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2008 16:47:36 -0300

Windsor Sewage Ponds - 1pm, grey, very light rain, very warm, peak high
tide.

A big change from last week - all the geese have gone and so have most of
the ducks. In their place is a swarm of late "Peeps", some of which are so
white that I could see them from the 101 Highway when I was driving by.

500+ Semipalmated Sandpipers. About 20% of these are almost completely white
on the head with only a touch of brown as an eye line. Otherwise, with black
legs and bills and "normal" wing colouration they look just like the others
in the flock.
90 Black-bellied Plovers
40 Sanderlings
6 Least Sandpipers
4 American Wigeons
45 Black Ducks
200+ Herring Gulls
10 Greater Black Backed Gulls

I looked up as a large flock of birds passed overhead, expecting it to be
one of the massive groups of Starlings in the area. Instead it was at least
200 Robins, heading inland up the Avon River.

John Belbin- Hantsport