Fwd: [NatureNS] BBC NEWS | Science & Environment | Predators could be superweed fix

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2008 06:24:04 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

James W. Wolford wrote:

> Thanks, Angela, for sending this to all of us!  Yes, this is the plant
> that was discussed a bit earlier and is definitely a pest in Nova Scotia,

Hi Jim & All,            Oct 16, 2008
    The degree to which it is a pest can be seen clearly in the Sable
Island experience (Jim Wolford e-mail of Aug 16 & Zoe Lucas reply of Aug
18).

    By providing shelter to Warblers it deprives Sharp Shinned Hawks of
nourishment; clearly not a good thing.

    But even worse, it does not do an effective job of sheltering
Warblers because the stand has decreased in area by 90% over a period of
15 years; clearly a worse thing.

    And a second small stand has never expanded beyond the shelter of
the house; clearly not a good weed.

Yt, DW, Kentville