[NatureNS] Possible Western Sandpiper Not

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 8 Oct 2008 02:24:47 +0000

--_7b86de56-9ebe-4986-b0a6-7eeb8e13fec7_

Hi all:
=20
I posted a possible western sandpiper for Cape Sable Island the other day=
=2C pending review of photos.  I guess we fell into the trap of the wind pl=
aying tricks with feathers blowing up to appear like arrowheads on the side=
.  The photos clearly show no arrowheads and the bird in question was way t=
oo big for a western=2C which hung in the back of my mind and was a feature=
 which we toyed with.  Anyhow=2C as a good friend of mine mentioned "Even H=
omer Nods Every Now and Then!  A good lesson on a juvenile dunlin=2C which =
is what our bird was.  Ian will correct me in this if I'm wrong.  With re-a=
ccessment all three of us who saw the bird concur with this new id from the=
 photos taken.  I'm glad that I was able to grab photos and I did not post =
that it was a western sandpiper=2C but just a possibility.  The plumage of =
the bird that I photographed is not shown in most field guides=2C especiall=
y not in Shorebirds An Identification Guide=2C nor was it clearly defined i=
n National Geographic=2C definitely not in Sibleys=2C nor in Petersons.  Do=
rothy has a great new shorebird book=2C which shows the plumage of that bir=
d nicely.  I've not seen it yet=2C but will the next time we get together. =
 All the best to all.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave

--_7b86de56-9ebe-4986-b0a6-7eeb8e13fec7_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I posted a possible western sandpiper for Cape Sable Island the other day=
=2C pending review of photos.&nbsp=3B I guess we fell into the trap of the =
wind playing tricks with feathers blowing up to appear like arrowheads on t=
he side.&nbsp=3B The photos clearly show no arrowheads and the bird in ques=
tion was way too big for a western=2C which hung in the back of my mind and=
 was a feature which we toyed with.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C as a good friend of m=
ine mentioned "Even Homer Nods Every Now and Then!&nbsp=3B A good lesson on=
 a juvenile dunlin=2C which is what our bird was.&nbsp=3B Ian will correct =
me in this if I'm wrong.&nbsp=3B With re-accessment all three of us who saw=
 the bird concur with this new id from the photos taken.&nbsp=3B I'm glad t=
hat I was able to grab photos and I did not post that it was a western sand=
piper=2C but just a possibility.&nbsp=3B The plumage of the bird that I pho=
tographed is not shown in most field guides=2C especially not in Shorebirds=
 An Identification Guide=2C nor was it clearly defined in National Geograph=
ic=2C definitely not in Sibleys=2C nor in Petersons.&nbsp=3B Dorothy has a =
great new shorebird book=2C which shows the plumage of that bird nicely.&nb=
sp=3B I've not seen it yet=2C but will the next time we get together.&nbsp=
=3B All the best to all.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_7b86de56-9ebe-4986-b0a6-7eeb8e13fec7_--