[NatureNS] Cranefly Hatch? Saltmarsh Trail in Cole Harbour

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2008 17:39:47 -0300

Hi Pat Ken an All

Yesterday the sky was full (3-400) most of the day with Starlings hawking
what apeared to be carpender ants. Even the H. Gulls over the Marina were
enjoyint this feast.

This brings me to the reason of me jumping in on this thread. Earlier this
summer I watched 15- 20 gulls hawking over Squid Cove (where I drop off
visitors to the park). After a short while I was able to ID the the insects
as Bees. We had a couple of days of very heavy rain and this day was very
hot and muggy with calm >5 km of SW winds. I watched in horror as the steady
waff of bees were picked off as they drifted out across the cove. Time and
time again as a bee flew within a few feet of me I'd follow it with the
Bino's to it's end! The closest gull!

Yesterdays feast may of included Crane flys but I didn't notice anything
other a Carpenter ant flight.

Tom K
Canso