[NatureNS] beaver size new gnawledge

Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:47:28 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&gt;&gt;&gt; marks?  Somebody must have looked into this in
Hi All,                    Sept 26, 2008
    The skull, measured from the bulge that is dorsad of the upper
incisors to the posterior extremity of the part that articulates with
the neck, is 129 mm long. I suspect , sheer guess by picturing beaver,
this is about 3/4 adult size.

    The right lower jawbone was missing but, in the left jawbone (in
looking at this more carefully, I see that the lower jawbone was from a
different and smaller beaver; both bones were within feet of each other
near the small dumbell-shaped pond on Little River), the curved incisor
pulls out readily and is essentially the same width (6.2 mm) from one
end to the other. This I think follows from, if I understand correctly,
the teeth growing from the base as use wears the cutting edge away. Thus
incisor tooth width would not increase with age (unless nursing beaver
have baby teeth ?). Perhaps Randy or Andrew can comment on this. This
left lower incisor, measured along the curved anterior face is 98 mm in
length (~80 mm from end to end).

    My estimate of 2/3 width, if it applies at all, would apply
especially to initial cuts where there is no opportunity for sideways
motion of the chips. Once there is a gap, into which chips can by pried,
they likely do cut to full width and rather than make shavings make
fairly thick chips (again by sublimital memory) chip size being
dependent somewhat on the wood being cut.

Yt, DW