Fw: [NatureNS] Report from Tom Kavanaugh re: Canso pelagic tip

From: "Terri Crane" <terri.crane@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, <NS-RBA@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 22:47:41 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_02C8_01C91F60.B77B1C70

I'm trying to send this again.
It didn't make it the first time arround
Tom

Hi Every one.

 I guess it's hard to improve on Clarence's play by play report. So I'll =
just
add why we stayed near shore instead of going off shore.
=20
=20
After about 3/4 hr near shore and with lots of activity, we/I decided to
 start heading off to the SE in search of more birds before the weather =
got
 to bad for an off shore run. The wind was blowing 15 knots Southerly =
(in from
 the open ocean) and we had a building sea. For a seafarer the weather
 conditions were still good-fair but for others a bit rough!
=20
After traveling a few miles south and encountering no extra bird life to
 warrant the extra torment that was being felt by one of the passengers, =
who
 by this time had succumb to the motions of the sea. I made a conscience
 decision to forgo the exploration and return to the area that we had =
all the
 original activity.
=20
  A large factor in this decision was the fact that a Sabine's gull was =
in
 that area and with the chum on board there was a good chance we could =
lure it in for
 all to get a close look at. I for one am very particular when adding =
birds
 to my life list. I must see in great detail ALL the field marks to my
 satisfaction (study). On this bird I didn't get a chance to study it =
BUT I
 can say I never did see ANY feature to discount it. This bird was =
easily
 picked up as being different when in the company of other birds that =
were
 clearly Black-legged Kittiwakes due to it's size (smaller) and flight
 characteristics (very tern like). If I have had prior experience then =
this
 view would of likely been more than enough to get the jiz and my Check.
=20
I would like to thank all that took part in this the first of what will
 surely be many more to come.
=20
See you all on the next trip.
=20
Tom K
 Canso
>=20
>=20
>=20

>=20
> ----- Original Message -----=20
Trip.
> Blake, your species and number of individuals are off, and paint an
> inaccurate picture .
> >
> > Here is the list of pelagic species in the order in which they were
> encountered on our trip. I was keeping a record of the species as we
> observed them, Tom may of missed some of the numbers while he was =
doing an
> excellent job of chumming. Thanks to his chumming we were ale to get =
nice
> close up photos of Northern Fulmar, Black-legged Kittiwake, Pomarine =
Jaeger,
> Northern Gannet, and Greater Shearwater.
> >
> > Northern Gannet - 120+ individuals
> > Leach=92s Storm Petrel - 1 (The evening before fishermen reported =
small
> flocks of these birds.)
> > Northern Fulmar - at least 18 - both dark and light phases
> > Pomarine Jaeger - at lest 21, 7 of which could be viewed at one time
> > Red-necked Phalarope - a minimum of 43
> > Black-legged Kittiwake - a minimum of 37
> >
> > Sabine=92s Gull - 1 immature bird. When I first saw this bird with =
the naked
> eye, I thought it was a tern, due to its very tern like flight and =
small
> size. As soon as I snapped my binoculars onto the bird it was =
obviously a
> small gull and not a tern. It was flying near a Black-legged Kittiwake
> and both birds could be observed in the same binocular view and it was =
clear
> that the gull was much smaller that the kittiwake. The bird was flying =
at a
> good clip on an angle away from the boat. Since I spotted the bird I =
was
> able to get the best view of it but Tom & Ken also managed to get the =
bird
> in their binoculars once it was further away. This meant that while I =
was
> able to easily view the large white triangles on the wing they were =
not.
> What was visible still was the leading black edge to the wing with no =
black
> bar extending back across the wing. The tail had the black band of an
> immature bird but nape, upper wing coverts and back were gray. It had
> > a gull like bill that appeared to be entirely black. Its small size =
in
> direct comparison to a Black-legged Kittiwake, the lack of bold black =
=93M=94
> and the lack of black neck collar all ruled against kittiwake. As did =
the
> fact that the gray from the neck connected directly to the back with =
no
> white area separating the two. Given what was seen I would like to =
know
> what else this bird could be, if not a Sabine=92s.
> >
> > Red Phalarope a minimum of 12
> >
> > Parasitic Jaeger - 2 for sure, maybe more, as in the distance there =
were
> several jaegers too far away to identify, except by someone with =
Fulton=92s
> skill and eyesight.
> >
> > Greater Shearwater 1 (It should be noted that only a couple days =
before
> the trip hundreds of unidentified shearwaters were present.)
> >
> > I commented to Tom that this was one of the craziest seabird trips I =
have
> even been on. Most of the birds we saw were quite close to shore and =
in less
> than an hour of leaving the dock we had 7 species. The quietest areas
> were the open water sites which typically produce the most birds, and =
the
> last seabird we saw, which was a Greater Shearwater is generally one =
of the
> first. We had a very fast tuna boat so we covered a good piece of =
water but
> failed to locate the tuna or tuna birds, which is the local name for
> shearwaters. Fulton believes that this area has great potential and =
hopes
> to be off Seal Island in time to join us for the next trip. - All the =
Best

-
> ---
> > > Blake Maybank
> > > maybank@ns.sympatico.ca
> > >
> > > Editor, "Nova Scotia Birds"
> > >
> > > author, "Birding Sites of Nova Scotia"
> > > http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS.htm
> > >
> > > White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada

> > Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk =
email the
> boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail and switch =
> New Mail today or register for free at http://mail.yahoo.ca
>=20

-------
Use Windows Live Messenger to send messages to your buddies on their =
mobile phones Find out more on our PC to Mobile website
------=_NextPart_000_02C8_01C91F60.B77B1C70

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Dwindows-1252">
<STYLE>.hmmessage P {
	PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: =
0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
BODY.hmmessage {
	FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Tahoma
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1561" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY class=3Dhmmessage bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>I'm trying to send this again.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>It didn't make it the first time =
arround</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Tom</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT><BR></DIV><BR>Hi Every =
one.<BR><BR>&nbsp;I guess=20
it's hard to improve on Clarence's play by play report. So I'll =
just<BR>add why=20
we stayed near shore instead of going off =
shore.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;<BR>After=20
about 3/4 hr near shore and with lots of activity, we/I decided=20
to<BR>&nbsp;start heading off to the SE in search of more birds before =
the=20
weather got<BR>&nbsp;to bad for an off shore run. The wind was blowing =
15 knots=20
Southerly (in from<BR>&nbsp;the open ocean) and we had a building sea. =
For a=20
seafarer the weather<BR>&nbsp;conditions were still good-fair but for =
others a=20
bit rough!<BR>&nbsp;<BR>After traveling a few miles south and =
encountering no=20
extra bird life to<BR>&nbsp;warrant the extra torment that was being =
felt by one=20
of the passengers, who<BR>&nbsp;by this time had succumb to the motions =
of the=20
sea. I made a conscience<BR>&nbsp;decision to forgo the exploration and =
return=20
to the area that we had all the<BR>&nbsp;original =
activity.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>&nbsp;=20
A large factor in this decision was the fact that a Sabine's gull was=20
in<BR>&nbsp;that area and with the chum on board there was a =
good&nbsp;chance we=20
could lure it in for<BR>&nbsp;all to get a close look at. I for one am =
very=20
particular when adding birds<BR>&nbsp;to my life list. I must see in =
great=20
detail ALL the field marks to my<BR>&nbsp;satisfaction (study). On this =
bird I=20
didn't get a chance to study it BUT I<BR>&nbsp;can say I never did see =
ANY=20
feature to discount it. This bird was easily<BR>&nbsp;picked up as being =

different when in the company of other birds that were<BR>&nbsp;clearly=20
Black-legged Kittiwakes due to it's size (smaller) and=20
flight<BR>&nbsp;characteristics (very tern like). If I have had prior =
experience=20
then this<BR>&nbsp;view would of likely been more than enough to get the =
jiz and=20
my Check.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>I would like to thank all that took part in this =
the=20
first of what will<BR>&nbsp;surely be many more to =
come.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>See you=20
all on the next trip.<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Tom K<BR>&nbsp;Canso<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; =

<BR>&gt;&nbsp;<BR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; ----- Original Message ----- =
<BR>&gt; From:=20
"Clarence Stevens" &lt;birder_ca@yahoo.com&gt;<BR>&gt; To:=20
&lt;naturens@chebucto.ns.ca&gt;<BR>&gt; Sent: Tuesday, September 23, =
2008 4:45=20
PM<BR>&gt; Subject: Re: [NatureNS] Report from Tom Kavanaugh re: Canso =
pelagic=20
tip<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; &gt; Hi All, here are the more correct =
numbers for=20
the Canso Seabird Trip.<BR>&gt; Blake, your species and number of =
individuals=20
are off, and paint an<BR>&gt; inaccurate picture .<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
Here is the list of pelagic species in the order in which they =
were<BR>&gt;=20
encountered on our trip. I was keeping a record of the species as =
we<BR>&gt;=20
observed them, Tom may of missed some of the numbers while he was doing=20
an<BR>&gt; excellent job of chumming. Thanks to his chumming we were ale =
to get=20
nice<BR>&gt; close up photos of Northern Fulmar, Black-legged Kittiwake, =

Pomarine Jaeger,<BR>&gt; Northern Gannet, and Greater =
Shearwater.<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Northern Gannet - 120+ individuals<BR>&gt; &gt; =
Leach=92s Storm=20
Petrel - 1 (The evening before fishermen reported small<BR>&gt; flocks =
of these=20
birds.)<BR>&gt; &gt; Northern Fulmar - at least 18 - both dark and light =

phases<BR>&gt; &gt; Pomarine Jaeger - at lest 21, 7 of which could be =
viewed at=20
one time<BR>&gt; &gt; Red-necked Phalarope - a minimum of 43<BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
Black-legged Kittiwake - a minimum of 37<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; =
Sabine=92s Gull=20
- 1 immature bird. When I first saw this bird with the naked<BR>&gt; =
eye, I=20
thought it was a tern, due to its very tern like flight and =
small<BR>&gt; size.=20
As soon as I snapped my binoculars onto the bird it was obviously =
a<BR>&gt;=20
small gull and not a tern. It was flying near a Black-legged =
Kittiwake<BR>&gt;=20
and both birds could be observed in the same binocular view and it was=20
clear<BR>&gt; that the gull was much smaller that the kittiwake. The =
bird was=20
flying at a<BR>&gt; good clip on an angle away from the boat. Since I =
spotted=20
the bird I was<BR>&gt; able to get the best view of it but Tom &amp; Ken =
also=20
managed to get the bird<BR>&gt; in their binoculars once it was further =
away.=20
This meant that while I was<BR>&gt; able to easily view the large white=20
triangles on the wing they were not.<BR>&gt; What was visible still was =
the=20
leading black edge to the wing with no black<BR>&gt; bar extending back =
across=20
the wing. The tail had the black band of an<BR>&gt; immature bird but =
nape,=20
upper wing coverts and back were gray. It had<BR>&gt; &gt; a gull like =
bill that=20
appeared to be entirely black. Its small size in<BR>&gt; direct =
comparison to a=20
Black-legged Kittiwake, the lack of bold black =93M=94<BR>&gt; and the =
lack of black=20
neck collar all ruled against kittiwake. As did the<BR>&gt; fact that =
the gray=20
from the neck connected directly to the back with no<BR>&gt; white area=20
separating the two. Given what was seen I would like to know<BR>&gt; =
what else=20
this bird could be, if not a Sabine=92s.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Red =
Phalarope a=20
minimum of 12<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Parasitic Jaeger - 2 for sure, =
maybe=20
more, as in the distance there were<BR>&gt; several jaegers too far away =
to=20
identify, except by someone with Fulton=92s<BR>&gt; skill and =
eyesight.<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; Greater Shearwater 1 (It should be noted that only a =
couple=20
days before<BR>&gt; the trip hundreds of unidentified shearwaters were=20
present.)<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; I commented to Tom that this was one =
of the=20
craziest seabird trips I have<BR>&gt; even been on. Most of the birds we =
saw=20
were quite close to shore and in less<BR>&gt; than an hour of leaving =
the dock=20
we had 7 species. The quietest areas<BR>&gt; were the open water sites =
which=20
typically produce the most birds, and the<BR>&gt; last seabird we saw, =
which was=20
a Greater Shearwater is generally one of the<BR>&gt; first. We had a =
very fast=20
tuna boat so we covered a good piece of water but<BR>&gt; failed to =
locate the=20
tuna or tuna birds, which is the local name for<BR>&gt; shearwaters. =
Fulton=20
believes that this area has great potential and hopes<BR>&gt; to be off =
Seal=20
Island in time to join us for the next trip. - All the Best<BR>&gt; in =
Birding,=20
Clarence<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; --- On Tue, 9/23/08, =
Blake=20
Maybank &lt;maybank@ns.sympatico.ca&gt; wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;=20
From: Blake Maybank &lt;maybank@ns.sympatico.ca&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; =
Subject:=20
[NatureNS] Report from Tom Kavanaugh re: Canso pelagic tip<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt; To:=20
naturens@chebucto.ns.ca<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Received: Tuesday, September =
23, 2008,=20
7:54 AM<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; The following is a report from Tom Kavanaugh =
regarding=20
the<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Canso pelagic trip.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;=20
Tom provided me the following information to forward to the<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;=20
NS-RBA<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; and NatureNS.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt; There=20
were seven participants on the Canso pelagic trip on<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;=20
20<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; September. The vessel was on the water from about =
0700=20
to<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; 1430,<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; though never more than =
three or=20
four miles from shore.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Most<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; activity =

occurred early in the trip, just about a mile from<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; =
Canso=20
Harbour.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Here were the pelagic =
highlights,=20
in taxonomic order:<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; - one Greater=20
Shearwater<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; - one Leach's=20
Storm-Petrel<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; - lots of Northern =
Gannets,=20
actively feeding.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; - thirty or so =
phalaropes,=20
both Red-necked and Red.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; - small =
numbers of=20
Black-legged Kittiwakes<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; - an =
immature=20
Sabine's Gull. This bird was first<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; identified =
by<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt; Clarence Stevens, Jr.. Tom only saw the bird as it was<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;=20
flying away,<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; and though he believes the bird was =
accurately=20
identified<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; he stated<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; that he did not =
see=20
enough details on the bird to feel<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; comfortable =
to<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt; count it on his own life list. He noted that the bird was<BR>&gt; =
&gt; &gt;=20
noticeably<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; smaller than a nearby Black-legged =
Kittiwake, and=20
had a<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; very<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; different flight style. =
No=20
photographs were obtained.<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; This is a<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; =
very=20
rare bird for Nova Scotia, especially in near-shore<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; =
waters=20
(most<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; sightings are from offshore, especially near =
Sable=20
Island),<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; so<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; written documentation =
from=20
Clarence (as the first observer<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; of the<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;=20
Sabine's Gull) would be welcome, as well as from anyone<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt; else=20
on board<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; who saw the bird well.<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt; - numerous jaegers. Tom stated that there were 21<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; =

sightings of<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; jaegers, but given the possibility of =
repeat=20
sightings of<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; specific<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; individuals, =
there=20
were a minimum of 12-15 birds, of which<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; two =
were<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt; Parasitic Jaegers, and the rest Pomarine. Most were<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;=20
immature birds,<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; though a few adults were =
present.<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Tom says they are considering another trip out of =

Canso<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; sometime in<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; October, and =
invites=20
anyone interested in being kept<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; apprised of =
the<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt; details of this trip to contact him at 902-366-3476. It is<BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt; better to<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; phone him than sending an e-mail, as he =
says he=20
is<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; "way behind on my e-mails".<BR>&gt; &gt; =
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
&gt; Good birding,<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Blake =
Maybank<BR>&gt;=20
&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
-<BR>&gt;=20
---<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Blake Maybank<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;=20
maybank@ns.sympatico.ca<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; Editor, =
"Nova Scotia=20
Birds"<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; author, "Birding Sites of =
Nova=20
Scotia"<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; http://maybank.tripod.com/BSNS.htm<BR>&gt; =
&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt; &gt; White's Lake, Nova Scotia, Canada<BR>&gt; =
&gt;<BR>&gt;=20
&gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;=20
__________________________________________________________________<BR>&gt=
; &gt;=20
Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email=20
the<BR>&gt; boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail. Click on Options in Mail =
and=20
switch to<BR>&gt; New Mail today or register for free at=20
http://mail.yahoo.ca<BR>&gt; <BR><BR><BR>
<HR>
Use Windows Live Messenger to send messages to your buddies on their =
mobile=20
phones <A href=3D"http://www.pc2mobile.ca" target=3D_new>Find out more =
on our PC to=20
Mobile website</A> </BODY></HTML>