[NatureNS] Re: King Rail?

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2008 04:45:09 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C91A12.7EC939A0

The mystery bird in the photo is a Whimbrel!   A really good find!   =20

Cheers, liz

I found out that another friend of Lorelei's responded to her excitement =
over the unusual looking birds in her yard; he arrived with his camera =
and got a few photos.    I posted 5 of them at the linked site copied =
below.   Unfortunately the photo quality is very poor (blurred, low =
resolution) but perhaps there are enough details to be gleaned from the =
combination of photos to allow someone, very familiar with this group of =
birds, to make a reasonable ID attempt.  Click on each individual photo =
for an enlargement.

It is obviously not a rail but appears to be in the shorebird group. It =
appears to have a long bill that is curved downward:   Long-billed =
Dowitcher ?,  Whimbrel ?  , etc.  What do you think???  Sherman

http://web.mac.com/sherm39/iWeb/Site/mystery_birds.html
------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C91A12.7EC939A0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY=20
style=3D"WORD-WRAP: break-word; -webkit-nbsp-mode: space; =
-webkit-line-break: after-white-space"=20
bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>The mystery bird in the photo is a =
Whimbrel!&nbsp;&nbsp; A=20
really good find!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Cheers, liz</FONT></DIV>
<DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV></DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>I found out that another friend of Lorelei's responded to her =
excitement=20
over the unusual looking birds in her yard; he arrived with his camera =
and got a=20
few photos. &nbsp; &nbsp;I posted 5 of them at the linked site copied =
below.=20
&nbsp; Unfortunately the photo quality is very poor (blurred, low =
resolution)=20
but perhaps there are enough details to be gleaned from the combination =
of=20
photos to allow someone, very familiar with this group of birds, to make =
a=20
reasonable ID attempt. &nbsp;Click on each individual photo for an=20
enlargement.</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV>It is obviously&nbsp;not a rail but appears to be&nbsp;in the =
shorebird=20
group. It appears to have a long bill that is curved downward: &nbsp;=20
Long-billed Dowitcher ?, &nbsp;Whimbrel ? &nbsp;, etc. &nbsp;What do you =

think???&nbsp; Sherman</DIV>
<DIV><BR></DIV>
<DIV><A=20
href=3D"http://web.mac.com/sherm39/iWeb/Site/mystery_birds.html">http://w=
eb.mac.com/sherm39/iWeb/Site/mystery_birds.html</A></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0013_01C91A12.7EC939A0--