[NatureNS] King Rail??

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 15:14:26 -0300
From: "Richard Stern" <sternrichard@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca, "Sherman Williams" <sherm@glinx.com>

------=_Part_21663_3403073.1221675266865

Hi,

There are just a few records of King Rail for NS, including the one
mentioned by Joan, and a couple of others. They may well be slightly less
rare than that, in that they tend to be nocturnal, keep very well hidden in
thick marshes and cat-tails, and are usually very hard to see, even if
present. There was a possible sighting at Annapolis Royal 2 years ago, and
several of us went out several times at dusk with tapes, but no luck. They
are very similar to Clapper rails, which are almost as rare in NS, and
equally hard to see.  However, anything can turn up, and there was, e.g. a
Clapper rail seen on a lawn on Brier Island not too long ago.  It would be
very interesting to try and get an actual description of the bird (?s) from
Lorelei, together with a description of the vocalization - that of a King
rail should be fairly diagnostic . You can hear some here -
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/King_Rail.html .

Richard

--
#################
Richard Stern,

rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca
rbstern@xcountry.tv
sternrichard@gmail.com
###################

------=_Part_21663_3403073.1221675266865

S, including the one mentioned by Joan, and a couple of others. They may we=
ll be slightly less rare than that, in that they tend to be nocturnal, keep=
 very well hidden in thick marshes and cat-tails, and are usually very hard=
 to see, even if present. There was a possible sighting at Annapolis Royal =
2 years ago, and several of us went out several times at dusk with tapes, b=
ut no luck. They are very similar to Clapper rails, which are almost as rar=
e in NS, and equally hard to see.&nbsp; However, anything can turn up, and =
there was, e.g. a Clapper rail seen on a lawn on Brier Island not too long =
ago.&nbsp; It would be very interesting to try and get an actual descriptio=
 here - <a href=3D"http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/King_Ra=
il.html">http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/audio/King_Rail.html</a=
> .<br>
 AM, Sherman Williams <span dir=3D"ltr">&lt;<a href=3D"mailto:sherm@glinx.c=
te" style=3D"border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, 204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt=
 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">
ring me up to date on the current status of this bird in N.S. &nbsp;Could t=
his have been a King Rail or is it possible that it could be mistaken for a=
nother rail or rail-like bird? &nbsp; The friend made this observation in M=
ount Denson, Hants Co., Highway #1 (between Hansport and Falmouth).</div>
=3D"margin: 0px;"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span style=3D"color: rgb(0, 0,=
 0);"><div style=3D"margin: 0px;"><font face=3D"Helvetica" size=3D"3">On 15=
/09/2008, at 9:04 PM, lorelei&nbsp;</font></div>
t a message on your phone on Sunday evening...we were on our way out when I=
 noticed an unusual bird on the lawn, it didn&#39;t seem nervous or flighty=
. Anyway, it had a buddy there with it and turned out to be a King Rail. Th=
ey are still around, I heard it in the field today, has a unique sound, wel=
l one I can distinguish as different. Would it have a nest here</font></div=

 just stopping off on a route to somewhere?</font></div><div style=3D"margi=
n: 0px;"><font face=3D"Tahoma" size=3D"4">Hope this message finds you well.=
 :)</font></div>
ref=3D"mailto:rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca">rbstern@ns.sympatico.ca</a><br><a hr=
ef=3D"mailto:rbstern@xcountry.tv">rbstern@xcountry.tv</a><br>
sternrichard@gmail.com<br>###=