[NatureNS] Re: Red-necked Stint

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 2008 20:35:23 -0300

Hi Pat

Wow,  it ws August 1997, which marked my comeback to birding after a long 25
year hiatus for different reasons like college, volunteer work, work, etc.
I went to Brier Island (and CSI) , thanks to Barb Hinds' informative column.
I was on my own, not knowing any birder (except for Ian McLaren whom I knew
when I was a high school student).  I bumped into Pat Chalmers, being so
shocked thinking that Brier Island was so remote and isolated that no one
would go that far.   It took four hours to drive there. Now, I know birders
do go anywhere no matter how far.

 I went down to Pond Cove and took time to study and identify many shore
birds there, being so rusty. The day was fading, and I was on the
seaweed-covered rocks looking at some peeps, and came across a very reddish
and rather exhausted peep.  I didn't know what it was.   It was almost by my
feet and I left my camera in the car. Could it be the same one I saw???  I
don't remember noticing its legs.

The trip there was great.  Got many lifers like shearwaters, jaegers,
phalaropes, petrels, kittiwakes, and of course puffins, thanks to Carl
Haycock.

I am wondering if anyone took a photo of that stint in Brier Island??

Cheers, liz