[NatureNS] Conrad's Island - Lower Rose Bay

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 23:03:22 +0000

--_282cf9b8-9b66-463b-b0e1-3766f1339492_

I took a quick run to Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Bay this evening.  The =
tide was pretty well up=2C so not many shorebirds were left there except gr=
eater and lesser yellowlegs and black-bellied plovers.  I still ended up wi=
th 26 species though. =20
=20
Of note=2C four Labrador Savannah Sparrows=2C signifying the start of migra=
tion for them.  Usually there are a lot more of these birds present there l=
ater in the season.  These are the ones that are really dark with dark blac=
k stripping.
=20
A nice movement of birds was at the start of the road and I was able to add=
 a few more warbler species for the day.
=20
Warblers included:
=20
About 21 yellow-rumped warblers
American Redstart 1F
Black-throated Green Warbler 3
Northern Parula 2
Yellow Warbler 4
common Yellowthroat 3
Blackpoll Warbler 1
=20
A northern harrier was patrolling out over the dunes of the beach.
=20
There were red-eyed vireos=2C black-capped chickadees and American goldfinc=
hes also with the group of birds at the start.
=20
=20
=20
=20
=20

--_282cf9b8-9b66-463b-b0e1-3766f1339492_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
I took a quick run to Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Bay this evening.&nbsp=
=3B The tide was pretty well up=2C so not many shorebirds were left there e=
xcept greater and lesser yellowlegs and black-bellied plovers.&nbsp=3B I st=
ill ended up with 26 species though.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Of note=2C four Labrador Savannah Sparrows=2C signifying the start of migra=
tion for them.&nbsp=3B Usually there are a lot more of these birds present =
there later in the season.&nbsp=3B These are the ones that are really dark =
with dark black stripping.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A nice movement of birds was at the start of the road and I was able to add=
 a few more warbler species for the day.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Warblers included:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
About 21 yellow-rumped warblers<BR>
American Redstart&nbsp=3B1F<BR>
Black-throated Green Warbler 3<BR>
Northern Parula 2<BR>
Yellow Warbler 4<BR>
common Yellowthroat 3<BR>
Blackpoll Warbler 1<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
A northern harrier was patrolling out over the dunes of the beach.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There were red-eyed vireos=2C black-capped chickadees and American goldfinc=
hes also with the group of birds at the start.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>

--_282cf9b8-9b66-463b-b0e1-3766f1339492_--