[NatureNS] Red-necked Stint /False Forwards

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:36:45 -0700 (PDT)
From: Clarence Stevens <birder_ca@yahoo.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Hi All,

I feel I need to make this posting to clear up a falsehood that has been being perpetrated for some time.  For quite a while now Blake Maybank has been creating false forwards of postings that appear on Nature NS.  Not all of his forwards are false of course but more than one have been.

 I have explained to Blake in the past, that when he alters the content of one’s email, then the email is no longer a forward.

Of course he is free to make a posting of his own on any bird seen by other birders or to even forward their post, but as soon as content is altered, without indication that information was removed from an email, than he is in a very real sense, misrepresenting what the person was saying in their email.

 His alterations also can, and have changed, the intent and mood of emails. We all know that is not hard, by removing information, to turn a friendly email into something much less colder. Or to make an informative email appear less accurate.   We have all struggled over the years on Nature NS, to try to not have our emails misunderstood, so when another alters what someone else has typed in a posting it makes it all that much more difficult to express ourselves accurately.

While alteration of content does not happen on Nature NS, postings are taken by Blake Maybank from Nature NS and altered elsewhere on sites where birders from all over North American see them.  When this is done it not only hurts the birder locally but across the continent and frankly changes how birders from other places view Nova Scotian birders.

In addition to removing information from emails, Blake Maybank also sometimes slips in additional information. In this particular instance his posting downgraded the Red-necked Stint to a possible Red-necked Stint.  He did this by slipping the word “possible” in front of Red-necked Stint in the title of the posting.

Once again he is free to make his own posting stating that he believes it to be a only a possible Red-necked Stint but when he claims to forward an posting with an altered title, such as in this case, he actually changes the way the observer or observers were perceived to view the bird in question.

If someone sends you an email and says it is possible that I saw a Red-necked Stint or makes the title of the email  “Possible Red-necked Stint” it certainly makes them seem to be much less confident of their identification.

This does the birding community as a whole a disservice as when a bird is only listed as a possible, less people go to look for the bird.  There are those of course that want to check out such birds anyway but such a posting certainly discourages some.

This brings me to the main purpose of this posting.

 I just wanted to let my fellow birders out there to know that we are quite certain that the bird we saw was indeed a Red-necked Stint.   Could of we made a mistake? Sure. However I believe we made a correct identification, and I encourage people not to miss out on an opportunity to see such an interesting bird.  Through our observations I believe we have eliminated any closely related species such as Little Stint. (If so desired I can make a posting detailing/highlighting several reasons for this decision.)  I believe we also safely eliminated all lookalike species such as White-rumped Sandpiper, and a redder than normal Semipalmated Sandpiper.

I invite any inquires and I hope to obtain a photograph of the Red-necked Stint to aid in its confirmation as a Nova Scotia record.

Now some might say that in Blake’s forward he was simply trying to indicate that the sighting has not yet been made a confirmed record for the province.  However it should be noted that a “possible record” and a “possible sighting” are a far cry from each other and should be so indicated.  It also does not explain away his other types of changes.  Which brings me to the second purpose of this email.

The second purpose of this email is to not only to inform birders of the false forwards that have been generated.  (And sadly this is not the first time. In addition to the types of omissions and additions mentioned above, in the past in these so called forwards, Blake Maybank has even gone so far to alter the way I sign my name to my emails.)

As I mentioned above I have spoken to Blake Maybank about these alterations in the past but like usual with Blake I was just ignored.  So I ask here,  if there are some other birders in the province that have Blake’s ear that maybe they can ask him to please stop doing such a disservice to himself and all of us on Nature NS.

- All the Best in Birding, Clarence