[NatureNS] introduced versus invasive

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 09:57:00 -0300
From: "Randy Lauff" <randy.lauff@gmail.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

------=_Part_3241_13322730.1221224220158

One must watch the terminology a bit. *Invasive* + *introduced* are two
different terms.

Roland pointed out that he thought that all of our plants have come in since
the ice age; this is anywhere from largely true, to absolutely true. It is
my understanding that there may have been some refugia where the ice did not
scrape.

Thousands of years ago, the plants got here either on their own accord,
simply by expanding their range from the rest of the continent via seed (or
spore) dispersal or vegetative growth. I suspect that most was done by seed
dispersal (via wind or animal), though this is well out of my field of
expertise. This range expansion is considered natural.

Humans are a part of nature. However, the massive capability of transporting
animals, plants, fungi, etc. from remote places to another part of the
world, is not natural.

Any organism that gets to a new location via non-natural means is *
introduced*. If that organism reproduces to a great extent, it is *invasive*
.

It is my opinion that we should keep all foreign organisms away, unless they
are confined to one's garden, home, agricultural setting, etc. Even foreign
organsims that are deemed beneficial, like wild apple trees and earthworms,
in my mind, should not be here. In another email, the benefits of wild apple
trees were mentioned...they provide food for many native species. Consider
this...prior to the apple trees, were the animals here destitute? Were they
scrawny specimens, ridiculed by their cousins on the other side of the
Atlantic? Were the plants pale and rotting, because there were no earthworms
here?

The native fauna does the job. There is no need for introduced species, some
of which become invasive pests.

"I tend to believe what I see with my own eyes and tend to question the
'findings' of modern so-called biologists because in many cases they are
activists dressed up in a lab coat and with a heavy thumb on the balance. Or
perhaps neutral but feel coerced to toe the party line."

Ouch.

David...what advantage would there be for biologists to "toe [this] party
line?" And by putting "findings" in single quotes in your comment, are you
implying that the data have been made up?

Randy

--
Randy

------=_Part_3241_13322730.1221224220158