[NatureNS] Japanese Knotweed-invasive species

Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2008 06:39:04 -0300
From: Phil Schappert <philjs@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

At 08:52 PM 9/11/2008, David & Alison Webster wrote:
>    Before going on, to comment on some of Randy's points, I wish to
> make some comments from a personal perspective. This is an
> interesting topic and I think a fairly important one. With all
> topics, and especially with one as fundamental as this, one should
> if possible avoid becoming emotional.
>    In addition, a discussion becomes hopelessly confused if someone
> misrepresents a statement or attempts to prove some statement to be
> incorrect without having read the statement. My remark about
> 'underutilized resource' was limited to plants. Plants do not nest
> in trees or butt heads with Rhioniceri.
>    I tend to believe what I see with my own eyes and tend to
> question the 'findings' of modern so-called biologists because in
> many cases they are activists dressed up in a lab coat and with a
> heavy thumb on the balance. Or perhaps neutral but feel coerced to
> toe the party line.

David,

How can you criticize someone for "misrepresent(ing) a statement" and
then -- without missing a beat -- "misrepresent" (malign) an entire
profession? I, for one, don't own a lab coat and don't expose my toes
at parties. I do, however, keep both my mind and my eyes wide
open...and also believe what I see with my own eyes.

Perhaps we should ALL follow your advice and "avoid becoming
emotional" but this might be a bit easier if we all stick to facts
rather than opinions.

Phil

--

Dr. Phil Schappert

27 Clovis Ave.
Halifax, NS Canada, B3P 1J3
Home: 902-404-5679
Cell: 902-460-8343

www.philschappert.com
www.aworldforbutterflies.com

"Just let imagination lead, reality will follow through..."
                                             Michael Hedges