[NatureNS] Exciting Morning and Curlew Sandpiper

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 2008 18:05:01 +0000

--_71f96573-b85b-4a9e-96f7-f2b9ea9edbe6_

Hi all:
=20
I took the Kingsburg Coastal Conservancy on a bird outing this morning and =
we ended up with roughly 50 species.  Not bad for the small area that we co=
vered.
=20
The best birds were definitely at Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Bay.  I'm 1=
00 percent positive that I had a curlew sandpiper there.  Now I've never se=
en one=2C but all of the features conform to my conclusion.  There was a sh=
ort-billed dowitcher in the water and this bird was not much smaller than t=
he dowitcher.  Maybe only by an inch or so.  Now most are probably thinking=
 that I saw a dunlin.  This is what I noted in the field.  The bird was ver=
y pale and gray on the body.  It had a long down-curved bill.  The breast w=
as pale and the side of the bird was white.  There was a dark patch above t=
he tail and a little bit of rufous on the wing.  Not fully changed from adu=
lt breeding plumage.  The bird looked refined and more prim than most shore=
birds I've seen.  I saw white above the eye=2C which shows in Sibley's=2C (=
Shorebirds an identification guide calls it a supercilium=2C which distingu=
ishes the bird from a dunlin).  The bird stuck out like a sore thumb when I=
 came upon it and definitely did not resemble any that I'd seen before.  Th=
e dull gray color alone turned me from considering a dunlin.  Light gray-or=
 darker was around the head and down to the chest making it stand out.   It=
 made the head look dark in comparison to the grayness of the body.  The he=
ad looked thinner also than one would expect to see in a dunlin=2C which is=
 signature of a more rounded head.  I did get photos=2C but they are long d=
istance and I'm not sure if the experts will be able to confirm from them o=
r not.  The one chance that I had to get a close up shot was ruined by the =
entire flock lifting up for some reason just as I was about to snap the pic=
ture=2C maybe due to a greater black-backed gull flying over.  There had be=
en a bald eagle in the area earlier.
=20
Other decent birds there were two red knots=2C a few white-rumped sandpiper=
s=2C two pectoral sandpipers=2C and seven bobolinks.
=20
On the way out 40 plus yellow-rumped warblers=2C a yellow warbler=2C a few =
magnolia warblers and a northern parula=2C amongs some other species.
=20
Off Hirtle's Beach=2C a horned grebe and 20 common terns.
=20
The rain came and ended our day sooner than we wanted.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
=20
=20

--_71f96573-b85b-4a9e-96f7-f2b9ea9edbe6_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Hi all:<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
I took the Kingsburg Coastal Conservancy on a bird outing this morning and =
we ended up with roughly 50 species.&nbsp=3B Not bad for the small area tha=
t we covered.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The best birds were definitely at Conrad's Island at Lower Rose Bay.&nbsp=
=3B I'm 100 percent positive that I had a curlew sandpiper there.&nbsp=3B N=
ow I've never seen one=2C but all of the features conform to my conclusion.=
&nbsp=3B There was a short-billed dowitcher in the water and this bird was =
not much smaller than the dowitcher.&nbsp=3B Maybe only by an inch or so.&n=
bsp=3B Now most are probably thinking that I saw a dunlin.&nbsp=3B This is =
what I noted in the field.&nbsp=3B The bird was very pale and gray on the b=
ody.&nbsp=3B It had a long down-curved bill.&nbsp=3B The breast was pale an=
d the side of the bird was white.&nbsp=3B There was a dark&nbsp=3Bpatch abo=
ve the tail&nbsp=3Band a little&nbsp=3Bbit of rufous on the wing.&nbsp=3B N=
ot fully changed from adult breeding plumage.&nbsp=3B The bird looked refin=
ed and more prim than most shorebirds I've seen.&nbsp=3B I saw white above =
the eye=2C which shows in Sibley's=2C (Shorebirds an identification guide c=
alls it a supercilium=2C which distinguishes the bird from a dunlin).&nbsp=
=3B The bird stuck out like a sore thumb when I came upon it and definitely=
 did not resemble any that I'd seen before.&nbsp=3B The dull gray color alo=
ne turned me from considering a dunlin.&nbsp=3B Light gray-or darker was ar=
ound the head and down to the chest making it stand out.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B It=
 made the head look dark in comparison to the grayness of the body.&nbsp=3B=
 The head looked thinner also than one would expect to see in a dunlin=2C w=
hich is signature of a more rounded head.&nbsp=3B I did get&nbsp=3Bphotos=
=2C but they are long distance and I'm not sure if the experts will be able=
 to confirm from them or not.&nbsp=3B The one chance that I had to get a cl=
ose up shot was ruined by the entire flock lifting up for some reason just =
as I was about to snap the picture=2C maybe due to a greater black-backed g=
ull flying over.&nbsp=3B There had been a bald eagle in the area earlier.<B=

&nbsp=3B<BR>
Other decent birds there were two red knots=2C a few white-rumped sandpiper=
s=2C two pectoral sandpipers=2C and seven bobolinks.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
On the way out 40 plus yellow-rumped warblers=2C a yellow warbler=2C a few =
magnolia warblers and a northern parula=2C amongs some other species.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Off Hirtle's Beach=2C a horned grebe and 20 common terns.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
The rain came and ended our day sooner than we wanted.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>
East LaHave<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>

--_71f96573-b85b-4a9e-96f7-f2b9ea9edbe6_--