[NatureNS] Re Orange Beetle

From: Lesley Butters <lesley.butters@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2008 7:59:03 -0400

Yesterday morning, as I was clearing debris from around my property in Albany New, I observed a dead little brown bat on the ground. A few seconds later orange/black beetles emerged from all angles of the dead animal.It was really creepy to watch the beetles devouring the bat, though fascinating at the same time. An hour latter there was no sign of beetles or bat. I have never seen this type of beetle before. Where do they hang out between feasts?

Also, on my property, I observed a very beautiful patch of Magenta Coral Fungi and many other incredible, beautiful mushrooms. The forest is alive, one positive behind our dark,damp and dreary summer.

Lesley Butters
Halifax