[NatureNS] More Birds

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 23:19:55 +0000

--_f7dc959a-6e55-44c0-b837-cabaeab84b9b_

Well I had big plans for the day in regards to doing some shorebird surveys=
 and checking out my special birding areas.  I decided that I needed to cra=
sh for a little before going out and had originally planned to only be down=
 for about an hour.  Well it turns out that I woke up four hours later.  An=
yhow=2C not to be totally left out of doing some more birding=2C I went to =
Conrads Island at Lower Rose Bay for a shorebird survey.  The tide had just=
 started to come in.  I was at a disadvantage from the start as a peregrine=
 was patrolling and most of the shorebirds left.  It was still nice to see =
what remained though.  A small movement of warblers was at the start contai=
ning 22 yellow-rumped warblers a few black-capped chickadees=2C two norther=
n parula=2C two magnolia warblers=2C and a palm warbler.  Shorebirds mainly=
 consisted of black-bellied plovers=2C greater and lesser yellowlegs and le=
ast sandpipers.  A few other shorebird species were only in small numbers. =
 Green-winged teal were present signifying that they are moving in migratio=
n.  Twelve were there and an additional 6 were at Oxner's Beach. =20
=20
At Oxner's Beach five willets were present=2C three of which were of the we=
stern subspecies.  At the end of the marsh area before the beach was a smal=
l grouping of birds with 16 yellow-rumped warblers=2C two red-eyed vireos=
=2C a northern parula=2C a dark-eyed junco=2C 8 black-capped chickadees and=
 a number of song sparrows. =20
=20
There seemed to be more than a normal amount of belted kingfishers about to=
day.  I saw six or seven in my travels at various locations.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East Lahave
Try Chicktionary=2C a game that tests how many words you can form from the =
letters given. Find this and more puzzles at Live Search Games!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/207=

--_f7dc959a-6e55-44c0-b837-cabaeab84b9b_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
Well I had big plans for the day in regards to doing some shorebird surveys=
 and checking out my special birding areas.&nbsp=3B I decided that I needed=
 to crash for a little before going out and had originally planned to only =
be down for about an hour.&nbsp=3B Well it turns out that I woke up four ho=
urs later.&nbsp=3B Anyhow=2C not to be totally left out of doing some more =
birding=2C I went to Conrads Island at Lower Rose Bay for a shorebird surve=
y.&nbsp=3B The tide had just started to come in.&nbsp=3B I was at a disadva=
ntage from the start as a peregrine was patrolling and most of the shorebir=
ds left.&nbsp=3B It was still nice to see what remained though.&nbsp=3B A s=
mall movement of warblers was at the start containing 22 yellow-rumped warb=
lers a few black-capped chickadees=2C&nbsp=3Btwo northern parula=2C two mag=
nolia warblers=2C and a palm warbler.&nbsp=3B Shorebirds mainly consisted o=
f black-bellied plovers=2C greater and lesser yellowlegs and least sandpipe=
rs.&nbsp=3B A few other shorebird species were only in small numbers.&nbsp=
=3B Green-winged teal were present signifying that they are moving in migra=
tion.&nbsp=3B Twelve were there and an additional 6 were at Oxner's Beach.&=
nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At Oxner's Beach five willets were present=2C three of which were of the we=
stern subspecies.&nbsp=3B At the end of the marsh area before the beach was=
 a small grouping of birds with 16 yellow-rumped warblers=2C two red-eyed v=
ireos=2C a northern parula=2C a dark-eyed junco=2C 8 black-capped chickadee=
s and a number of song sparrows.&nbsp=3B <BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There seemed to be more than a normal amount of belted kingfishers about to=
day.&nbsp=3B I saw six or seven in my travels at various locations.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_f7dc959a-6e55-44c0-b837-cabaeab84b9b_--