[NatureNS] Fall out, but nothing special

From: James Hirtle <jrhbirder@hotmail.com>
To: Naturens Naturens <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 16:35:06 +0000

--_b8336ebb-d92b-4808-91aa-0958d19ab8c7_

David Walmark and I today set out for Second Peninsula.  We did not spend m=
uch time there though as on the way we were passing through Indian Path.  T=
he whole way through there was just a constant movement of birds.  We made =
two stops and the numbers of birds present were mind boggling.  There were =
too many at the second stop for the brain to possibly process.  I know that=
 I only captured or saw a quarter of what was there.  Rough estimates of wh=
at we saw were as follows.
=20
Belted Kingfisher 1
Herring Gull 2
Mourning Dove 2
Yellow-rumped Warbler 15
Black-capped Chickadee 6
American Goldfinch 3
Common Yellowthroat 5
Red-breasted Nuthatch 6
Blue Jay 4
Blue-headed Vireo 1
American Crow 11
Northern Flicker 2
Palm Warbler 13
Double-crested Cormorant 1
Cedar waxwing 10
Gray Catbird 1
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2
Purple Finch 1
Magnolia Warbler 3
Black-throated Green Warbler 3
Osprey 5
American Robin 17
European Starling 150
Northern Parula 3
Song Sparrow 3
Great Blue Heron 1
Downy Woodpecker 3
Golden-crowned Kinglet 5
Hairy Woodpecker 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1
=20
There were a number of other woodpeckers and I could hear them banging away=
 at a number of other locations.  I could not see them though to get a coun=
t.  I would say there were at least three or four other woodpeckers present=
.  From the sound I would say both Pileated and yellow-bellied sapsuckers w=
ere also there.  Birds kept whizing past constantly and did not stop long e=
nough for id.  Therefore=2C warbler numbers would likely be three or four t=
imes greater than I've listed.  I only listed what I saw and could id.  At =
times there were so many palm warblers that it was hard to judge numbers=2C=
 and I know that I missed a number of yellow-rumped warblers as they moved =
by.  There were so many birds that we found it hard to focus on any one.  I=
 found myself falling into the trap of constantly getting distracted to oth=
er birds and I kept saying wow.  You would think that I would have gotten o=
ver that by now.  It's just that I've not run into such large numbers of bi=
rds at one location in a long time.  The numbers above might not seem large=
 at a quick view=2C but you had to be there to conceive just how many birds=
 there were.   My numbers just do not do it justice.
=20
Second Peninsula
=20
At least 21 bobolinks and larger numbers of house sparrows than normal were=
 the only real observations of note.
=20
James R. Hirtle
East LaHave
Find hidden words=2C unscramble celebrity names=2C or try the ultimate cros=
sword puzzle with Live Search Games. Play now!
http://g.msn.ca/ca55/212=

--_b8336ebb-d92b-4808-91aa-0958d19ab8c7_

<head>
.hmmessage P
{
margin:0px=3B
padding:0px
}
body.hmmessage
{
FONT-SIZE: 10pt=3B
FONT-FAMILY:Tahoma
}
</head>
David Walmark and I today set out for Second Peninsula.&nbsp=3B We did not =
spend much time there though as on the way we were passing through Indian P=
ath.&nbsp=3B The whole way through there was just a constant movement of bi=
rds.&nbsp=3B We made two stops and the numbers of birds present were mind b=
oggling.&nbsp=3B There were too many at the second stop for the brain to po=
ssibly process.&nbsp=3B I know that I only captured or saw a quarter of wha=
t was there.&nbsp=3B Rough estimates of what we saw were as follows.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Belted Kingfisher 1<BR>
Herring Gull 2<BR>
Mourning Dove 2<BR>
Yellow-rumped Warbler 15<BR>
Black-capped Chickadee 6<BR>
American Goldfinch 3<BR>
Common Yellowthroat 5<BR>
Red-breasted Nuthatch 6<BR>
Blue Jay 4<BR>
Blue-headed Vireo 1<BR>
American Crow 11<BR>
Northern Flicker 2<BR>
Palm Warbler 13<BR>
Double-crested Cormorant 1<BR>
Cedar waxwing 10<BR>
Gray Catbird 1<BR>
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 2<BR>
Purple Finch 1<BR>
Magnolia Warbler 3<BR>
Black-throated Green Warbler 3<BR>
Osprey 5<BR>
American Robin 17<BR>
European Starling 150<BR>
Northern Parula 3<BR>
Song Sparrow 3<BR>
Great Blue Heron 1<BR>
Downy Woodpecker 3<BR>
Golden-crowned Kinglet 5<BR>
Hairy Woodpecker 1<BR>
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
There were a number of other woodpeckers and I could hear them banging away=
 at a number of other locations.&nbsp=3B I could not see them though to get=
 a count.&nbsp=3B I would say there were at least three or four other woodp=
eckers present.&nbsp=3B From the sound I would say both Pileated and yellow=
-bellied sapsuckers were also there.&nbsp=3B Birds kept whizing past consta=
ntly and did not stop long enough for id.&nbsp=3B Therefore=2C warbler numb=
ers would likely be three or four times greater than I've listed.&nbsp=3B I=
 only listed what I saw and could id.&nbsp=3B At times there were so many p=
alm warblers that it was hard to judge numbers=2C and I know that I missed =
a number of yellow-rumped warblers as they moved by.&nbsp=3B There were so =
many birds that we found it hard to focus on any one.&nbsp=3B I found mysel=
f falling into the trap of constantly getting distracted to other birds&nbs=
p=3Band I kept saying wow.&nbsp=3B You would think that I would have gotten=
 over that by now.&nbsp=3B It's just that I've not run into such large numb=
ers of birds at one location in a long time.&nbsp=3B The numbers above migh=
t not seem large at a quick view=2C but you had to be there to conceive jus=
t how many birds there were.&nbsp=3B&nbsp=3B My numbers just do not do it j=
ustice.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
Second Peninsula<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
At least 21 bobolinks and larger numbers of house sparrows than normal were=
 the only real observations of note.<BR>
&nbsp=3B<BR>
James R. Hirtle<BR>

--_b8336ebb-d92b-4808-91aa-0958d19ab8c7_--