[NatureNS] Carrion beetle

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 15:03:52 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

&lt;p class=3
Hi Derek, Randy & All,                Aug 28, 2008
    I suspect you are correct. Many creatures are likely seldom seen
because few people are in the right place at the right time.

    Some insects do seem to be laid back. One Cerambycid, several years
ago, sat on my hand while I fed it iced tea with a splinter until I
moved it to do other things. This Ne. americana stayed put while I
worked nearby and >6' away, readily walked onto a leaf  when prodded,
walked off the leaf onto a post top when prodded and then stuck around
while I worked nearby and >6' away. This behavior, by a high-contrast
beetle, suggested that it had a foul taste but I will let someone more
qualified check that out.
Yt, DW