[NatureNS] Shorebirds - Grand Pre and Wood Ducks - Saxon St Pond

From: "Judy Tufts" <tandove@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: "NatureNS" <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 21:56:29 -0300

Thursday Aug 21/08 - Grand Pre shorebirds - High Tide : 4.24 pm.
Lovely warm, sunny afternoon with a light breeze.

Evangeline Beach --> The Guzzle, east end of Long Island, Grand Pre:
        ~17,000 'peeps' today.
At least 16,000 were roosting around high tide on the eastern beach 'tip' at
The Guzzle, not far from a string of anglers at the tip itself. For a change
there was little human disturbance from the anglers so the birds were able
to quietly rest until the tide turned.          	Among the 'peeps'
there were ~300 Semip. Plovers, a good showing of Least Sandpipers among the
'carpet' of Semipalmated Sandpipers, 3 Sanderlings and 4-5 White-rumps.
As I returned to my car, 2 WHIMBREL flew overhead, calling, and heading east
in the direction of Boot Island.

Next, a check of the high-tide 'roosting area' that larger migrating
shorebirds often prefer while sitting out the change of tide - on the
western rocky dyke area facing the mouth of the Cornwallis River - opposite
the Wolfville Sewage Ponds:
     151 Black-bellied Plovers , 2 Short-billed Dowitchers ( 1 in breeding
plumage), 1 Red Knot (winter plumage) and another 2500 ''peeps'- again, many
Leasts in the mix.

Wed Aug 20 / 08 - Saxon St Pond, Sheffield Mills
	3 imm Wood Ducks were resting on the fallen trunk of a tree
overhanging the pond.

Ruby-throated Hummingbirds : We still have 5-7 here, as feisty as ever, all
appear to be immatures. The adult males left almost a week ago; the adult
females a little later. Will miss their noisy antics and the pleasure their
appearance brings to our northern gardens.  Their season amongst us, alas,
is all too brief.

Cheers,
Judy Tufts