[NatureNS] Question re bird

Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:06:34 -0300
From: Brian Bartlett <bbartlett@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

--Boundary_(ID_skrHd1jL2/K6RgZXVJOuQg)

Yes, the Long-tailed Duck (or Old Squaw) has also been called "Hound." One of the best sources for alternate, regional, local bird names is an old book Birds of America, gen. ed. T. Gilbert Pearson (1936, first ed. 1917). Besides "Hound," other local names listed for this species include Swallow-tailed Duck, South-southerly, Old Wife, Old Injin, Old Granny, Old Molly, Old Billy, John Connolly, Uncle Huldy, Coween, Cowheen, Calloo, Cockawee, Scoldenore, Scolder, Quandy,  Squeaking Duck, and Winter Duck.

The frustrating, incomplete thing about the name listings in that book is they're not identified as belonging to certain states or provinces--and I imagine quite a few of the names may have passed out of usage by now, since the Pearson book even predates the Peterson guides. But it still makes for a fascinating read -- did you know Cooper's Hawk has been called "Big Blue Darter," English (House) Sparrow "Hoodlum," Wood Thrush "Swamp Robin," Dowitcher "Driver," Mallard "French Duck," Scaup "Raft Duck" or "Troop-fowl"? I wonder if anyone has compiled a comprehensive, locally detailed listing of alternate names for Atlantic Provinces birds over the past couple of centuries? If not, someone should...

Brian