[NatureNS] Japanese Knotweed

Date: Sat, 16 Aug 2008 14:13:29 -0300
From: David & Alison Webster <dwebster@glinx.com>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

Randy Lauff wrote:
Hi Randy & All,            Aug 16, 2008
    Japanese Knotweed was introduced to Eastern North America, as an
ornamental, more than 100 years ago (Gray's Manual 7th ed., 1908). For
an invasive plant it has taken a long time to get going.

     Both recent floras of NS characterize it as a plant of roadsides,
waste ground and about towns; not where one expects to find much
unmodified natural plant cover to displace. So I wonder what kind of
areas it has invaded in the park and which native plants were displaced.

    These floras also say that once established it is almost impossible
to eradicate. I can off hand think of only three patches of this plant
near Kentville and none are suitable for control; one being next door
and welcome, one being winter shelter for Pheasants and one being on a
soon to be ripped up roadway. If someone can direct me to a patch that
will not be disturbed for five years and over which the owner will give
me latitude then I will eradicate it by mowing only to prove that it can
in fact be done.

    Those wetlands full of Purple Loosestrife probably just reflect
invasion of bared highway ditches followed by runoff of seeds to
wetlands. Better attention to prompt establishment of grassed waterways
as opposed to bare ditches would have nipped PL in the bud. Several
years ago I noticed two patches of PL on two abandoned powerline
right-of-ways. They long ago flickered out.
Yt, DW