[NatureNS] Purple Finch, etc. in Cumb. Co.

From: <joancz@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>, <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:27:41 -0400

Hi David and all, I love the sight and song of the Purple Finch! My daughter Ava took me to Cumberland County to do some atlas work July 31st to August 2nd. I revisited the scene of breaking my ankle at Cape D'Or and managed to stay in one piece. The wildflowers were beautiful there, and there were lots of birds attending young. We saw fledged young (or juveniles) of Ruffed Grouse, White-throated Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Savannahs, Common Yellowthroats, and others in the  Spencer's Island square, but missed seeing the two nests of Bluebirds. Our best experience was watching a pair of Purple Finch on the Allen Hill road attending young. I have never seen such a bright RED male. They certainly seemed healthy. Joan