[NatureNS] From today's CH

Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 07:24:31 -0400
From: "Paul S. Boyer" <psboyer@eastlink.ca>
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca

cormorants do not go to inland wooded areas and a goshawk is grey.&lt;/P&

--Boundary_(ID_VJM4k55AfXUZu+hXO7oqzA)

Sounds like en enraged raven.  Ravin' mad, he was!

On Aug 6, 2008, at 5:58 AM, Chris Callaghan/Andy Moir wrote:

> 'Damn big bird' giving some South Shore folks a fright
> Enormous winged creature rushes, swoops at Crousetown residents
> By BEVERLEY WARE South Shore Bureau
> Wed. Aug 6 - 5:04 AM
> Myles Rafuse carries a big stick on his daily walks after a "damn =20
> big bird" came at him during a recent stroll after church.
>
> "I had quite an experience with it, I tell you," said the Crousetown =20=

> resident who turns 80 in a couple of weeks.
>
> In fact, he wasn=92t the only one to have a close encounter with the =20=

> jet black bird.
>
> "It was enormous really," said Goldie Stewart, who said the bird =20
> barely missed her scalp as it swooped down at her while she was =20
> hanging out laundry.
>
> "Maybe it was after my white hair," chuckled the 73-year-old.
>
> Mr. Rafuse was the first to have a close encounter with the =20
> gargantuan bird about a month ago. He was walking on a dirt road =20
> near his home southwest of Bridgewater after church on a Sunday.
>
> "I was going along and it got kind of warm so I took my jacket off =20
> and carried it over my arm."
>
> Then he heard something in the woods along the side of the road. =20
> "This huge bird come at me on the road and made a rush at me."
>
> He said it was black as coal and stood "at least two feet high and =20
> it was wide. . . . The only thing that saved me from not getting =20
> tangled up was I kept hitting it with my jacket." He said he ran =20
> backwards because he was afraid to turn his back on the bird.
>
> He said the bird never flew, it just ran at him from the side of the =20=

> road making a "howling like" noise with its wings partially out from =20=

> its body. Then it suddenly turned and ran back into the woods.
>
> "The damn thing could move quite swiftly," but Mr. Rafuse said in =20
> that moment he moved pretty quickly, too. "It was kind of scary for =20=

> a while."
>
> He hasn=92t been up that road since and now carries a 1.5-metre-long =20=

> stick with him on his daily walks.
>
> About a week after that happened, Mrs. Stewart said she was in her =20
> driveway hanging out laundry when a massive black bird swooped down =20=

> so close she felt the rush of the air from its wings on top of her =20
> head.
>
> "If he would have put his claws down he would have struck the top of =20=

> my head. I just stopped, it scared me so."
>
> It made a crying-like sound, she said. "It was weird."
>
> Initial reports were that it could have been a raven, a cormorant or =20=

> a northern goshawk. Randy Milton is acting director of wildlife for =20=

> the provincial Department of Natural Resources. He said it sounds =20
> too big to be a raven, cormorants do not go to inland wooded areas =20
> and a goshawk is grey.
>
> Given its size and the fact the bird ran at him, Mr. Milton said it =20=

> could be a turkey. "People have released turkeys in the province, =20
> not legally."

> [...]

-webkit-line-break: after-white-space; ">Sounds like en enraged raven. =
Chris Callaghan/Andy Moir wrote:</div><br =
class=3D"Apple-interchange-newline"><blockquote type=3D"cite"><span =
class=3D"Apple-style-span" style=3D"border-collapse: separate; color: =
rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: Times; font-size: 14px; font-style: normal; =
font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; =
line-height: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: auto; text-indent: 0px; =
text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; =
-webkit-border-horizontal-spacing: 0px; -webkit-border-vertical-spacing: =
0px; -webkit-text-decorations-in-effect: none; -webkit-text-size-adjust: =
auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0; "><div bgcolor=3D"#ffffff"><div><font =
face=3D"Arial" size=3D"2"><font face=3D"Times New Roman" size=3D"3">'Damn =
big bird' giving some South Shore folks a fright<br><font =
class=3D"Content_Sub_Headlines">Enormous winged creature rushes, swoops =
Rafuse carries a big stick on his daily walks after a "damn big bird" =
came at him during a recent stroll after church.</p><p>"I had quite an =
experience with it, I tell you," said the Crousetown resident who turns =
80 in a couple of weeks.</p><p>In fact, he wasn=92t the only one to have =
a close encounter with the jet black bird.</p><p>"It was enormous =
really," said Goldie Stewart, who said the bird barely missed her scalp =
as it swooped down at her while she was hanging out =
laundry.</p><p>"Maybe it was after my white hair," chuckled the =
73-year-old.</p><p>Mr. Rafuse was the first to have a close encounter =
with the gargantuan bird about a month ago. He was walking on a dirt =
road near his home southwest of Bridgewater after church on a =
Sunday.</p><p>"I was going along and it got kind of warm so I took my =
jacket off and carried it over my arm."</p><p>Then he heard something in =
the woods along the side of the road. "This huge bird come at me on the =
road and made a rush at me."</p><p>He said it was black as coal and =
stood "at least two feet high and it was wide. . . . The only thing that =
saved me fro