[NatureNS] Camp Courage - teens

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2008 18:45:39 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C8F018.F6FD83F0

Unique camp shows girls they've got courage, too

Camp Courage gives teens a taste of being a cop, a firefighter, and a =
paramedic

By JOEL JACOBSON | Great Kids

Sun. Jul 27, 2008

Katie Arnold, Christina Passmore and Victoria Ray were among 16 young =
women getting a first-hand look at what it takes to be a firefighter, =
police officer or paramedic during the week-long Camp Courage in =
Halifax. (Joel Jacobson)

IT'S 7 O'CLOCK on a Saturday morning, and it's already very warm as 16 =
teenage girls arrive at Knightsridge fire station in the Clayton Park =
area of Halifax for Day 6 of Camp Courage.=20

They're bubbling, probably more than they were on Day 1.

Andrea Speranza, a female firefighter in Dartmouth, started Camp Courage =
in 2006 to introduce young women to police, paramedic and firefighting =
work. The free one-week day camp aims "to provide information, education =
and inspiration and the opportunity to experience the physical demands =
of these fields," she says.

"The hands-on work was amazing," says Victoria Ray, 16, a Grade 11 =
student at Citadel High. Yesterday, they participated in a firefighter =
relay race in which they climbed ladders, simulated a forcible entry, =
hosed water through a target and carried a 180-pound dummy for 75 feet.

"My legs hurt afterwards," Victoria acknowledges. "I saw the national =
firefighters competition last year on the waterfront, and I wanted to do =
it then. This was really fun."

Andrea, captain of last year's national firefighter championship team, =
says the camp - two days each with paramedics, police officers and =
firefighters - exposes the girls to all aspects of being a first =
responder.

"This showed me what it's like to be on the street," says Angelic =
Nicholson, 17, a graduate of Advocate District High, who will soon study =
criminal justice at the University of Maine. "As part of the relay, we =
had to climb four flights of stairs with a 45-pound hose on our =
shoulder, then pull the hose up and run back down the stairs."

Katie Arnold, 17, entering Grade 12 at Dartmouth High, says putting on =
the hazmat (hazardous materials) suit the previous day was "my favourite =
thing so far . . . I was first, so it wasn't sweaty yet," she says.

She spent half an hour in the suit, learning how to breathe with an =
oxygen tank strapped to her body. "We learned how to buddy-walk and =
communicate, which was really hard because you have a mask on, you're =
trying to breathe and talk, and you're in a confined space."

Victoria says she looked like (Star Wars villain) Darth Vader. "It was =
really hot yesterday. I couldn't wear my glasses in the suit so I was =
relieved to get it off."

Ashley Pickrem, 15, a Grade 11 student at Sackville High, has a fear of =
heights. "I managed to climb 100 feet on a ladder (in the relay). I =
bawled my eyes out on the way up but I made it. I phoned my mum from the =
top to tell her I had done it."

Katie says she was shy when the camp started but came out of her shell. =
"I didn't know much about any of this and didn't know how successful I'd =
be, but I learned intubation and taught some of the others.=20

"Now I'm loud with everybody."=20

Andrea beams. "This camp is so valuable for them. It inspires them to =
try non-traditional careers. We, the women in these professions, have to =
lead by example . . . and give these kids a chance to reach their =
potential."

Angelic says she's now torn between firefighting and police work. =
"Firefighting was so much fun," she says.

Victoria calls policing interesting. "I've seen police stuff on =
television, but TV's not realistic. We experienced real life. We learned =
how to use handcuffs, self-defence tactics, forensics, spent time with =
the canines, even had a presentation from the RCMP on careers."

Katie's eyes widen. "We must have had 10 e-mails from Andrea asking for =
our sizes. I expected the basic T-shirt (the girls received four), but =
we got to take our (firefighter) bunker gear home with us for a night, =
were given first-aid kits, packages of soap and body wash, mini-digital =
cameras, other clothes. This has been super."

Andrea, who has been a professional firefighter at Highland Park station =
in Dartmouth for eight years, after three years as a volunteer in =
Lakeside, says the camp is supported through fundraising and corporate =
assistance.=20

"We use volunteer staff, even past campers, and equipment from the =
various services. There are kids here this week from New Glasgow, =
Kingston, Digby, even a girl from Ontario who saw the website. Her =
family paid for her to fly here."=20

Andrea says the camp name refers to the courage to stand up for yourself =
and have dreams. "If you dream, you can achieve," she says. "These kids =
come here with blinders on and leave knowing what's out there for them."

Christina Passmore, 17, in Grade 12 at Dartmouth High, says it was tough =
for her to get going Monday morning. "Once I started, it's been amazing. =
Each day was better and I was really excited to be here.

"I'm sure motivated now. I've thought for a while of being a paramedic, =
but now I'm leaning toward firefighting."

( jjacobson@herald.ca)

'I managed to climb 100 feet on a ladder. I bawled my eyes out on the =
way up, but I made it. I phoned my mum from the top to tell her I had =
done it.' ashley pickremCourage Camp participant who's afraid of heights =

Joel Jacobson's column appears Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.

------=_NextPart_000_0073_01C8F018.F6FD83F0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>
<P>Unique camp shows girls they=92ve got courage, too</P>
<P>Camp Courage gives teens a taste of being a cop, a firefighter, and a =

paramedic</P>
<P>By JOEL JACOBSON | Great Kids</P>
<P>Sun. Jul 27, 2008</P>
<P>Katie Arnold, Christina Passmore and Victoria Ray were among 16 young =
women=20
getting a first-hand look at what it takes to be a firefighter, police =
officer=20
or paramedic during the week-long Camp Courage in Halifax. (Joel =
Jacobson)</P>
<P>IT=92S 7 O=92CLOCK on a Sa