[NatureNS] Article - Julie Paquet / Maritime Bird Breeding Atlas

From: "Elizabeth Doull" <edoull@ns.sympatico.ca>
To: <naturens@chebucto.ns.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 17:36:33 -0300

------=_NextPart_000_016B_01C8EF46.259E9C40

tick removal devicePatience, keen eye required
Volunteers' observations to be published in Maritime Breeding Bird Atlas
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Science/1069712.html

Sat. Jul 26, 2008

STANLEY - "Shhhhhhhhhhhp. Shhhhp. Shhhp. Shhhhhhhhp."

So much for my image of birdwatchers sitting quietly, patiently waiting =
for our feathered friends to come flying into view.

We've walked barely 100 metres down this old logging road near Amherst =
and my partner, longtime birdwatcher Julie Paquet, is making this =
strange noise.

"Don't worry," she says, laughing, while lifting a pair of binoculars to =
her eyes. "The noise will attract the birds. They'll be curious and want =
to check it out."

"Shhhhhhhhhp. Shhhhhhp. Shhhhp."

Sure enough, within seconds, we hear the fluttering of rapidly beating =
wings before we see a couple of robins deftly manoeuvring through the =
dense brush on the side of the road.

Paquet watches them for a couple of minutes as they dance among the =
branches, then puts down her binoculars and pulls a battered, rolled-up =
notebook from her pocket. In it, she neatly records the sighting.

The information she collects during our walk will become part of the new =
Maritime Breeding Bird Atlas that the federal government will publish in =
2012. She is one of more than 800 volunteer birdwatchers throughout the =
Maritimes who are collecting data for the atlas.

Each of the provinces has been divided into regions and each of those =
regions has been subdivided into sections of 10 square kilometres. The =
one we are in on this hot, muggy, cloudy day is known as the Salem =
square. It is one of the priority squares - areas that must be surveyed =
to ensure that a minimum baseline for each area of the province is =
achieved.

The priority squares also ensure that all the different types of bird =
habitat in the Maritimes are included in the atlas. The habitat during =
much of our walk is a cut-over forest that is regenerating itself. There =
are a lot of alders and the occasional clump of mature trees that the =
loggers left behind.

"To be a complete survey, we have to spend 20 hours in the square," =
Paquet says as she begins walking again, gazing at the tops of trees and =
into the bushes.

We've only gone a few steps when we hear a songbird.

"That's a song sparrow," she says, whipping out the notebook again.

"We don't need to see the bird in order to confirm that it is present. =
We can identify it by its call."

After making her entry, Paquet shows me the notebook. In it, she records =
the birds she sees or hears. She also notes whether the sighting =
indicated any signs that the bird was breeding.

Those signs include the sighting of a male and female in the same area, =
which she records as a probable mating pair. A bird carrying food in its =
mouth is considered a confirmed breeder because that suggests it is =
taking food back to a nest.

Seeing a bird sitting on a nest also confirms that birds are breeding, =
Paquet explains as we detour off the logging road and up a grassed-over =
pathway. At the end, we come to a pond. When I slip on the muddy =
shoreline, I scare a male wood duck enough that it takes flight. Its =
trip is a short one, though. It lands in the middle of the pond beside a =
female wood duck that has five youngsters in tow.

"That's also a good confirmation that breeding is taking place," she =
says, giving me her binoculars so I can get a better look at the little =
ones as they paddle behind their mother.

This is the third year that volunteers like Paquet have gathered data =
for the atlas. They will continue their task until the end of 2010.

Like most of the volunteers, Paquet has been an avid birdwatcher since =
she was a child.

"To me, watching birds is just fascinating. It's one of the most =
enjoyable things to do," she says as we continue walking. "And being a =
volunteer for the atlas enhances that enjoyment by presenting me with =
the challenge of finding different breeds and evidence that they are =
breeding."

Suddenly she stops and brings her binoculars up to her eyes.

"There's a hummingbird," she says, pointing to the top of a tree.

I look, but all I see is the tree until the tiny bird turns its head and =
you can see its long narrow beak. Once more, the notebook comes out and =
the data is recorded.

The highlight of the day comes when we spot an American kestrel darting =
about the sky. The hawk is obviously hunting. We watch it for several =
minutes and although we see it dive toward the ground, we don't see if =
its hunt is successful.

As we turn to walk away, we're startled when a frightened spruce grouse =
pops out in front of us. The two sightings are recorded.

At the end of the walk, we have noted 24 different species of birds in =
the area.

The information will be passed on to the atlas project co-ordinators in =
Sackville, N.B. There it will be combined with data collected by the =
other volunteers to "present us with a very good picture of the =
distribution and abundance of breeding birds in the Maritimes," says Ivy =
Austin, one of the co-ordinators.

The information will be compared to data collected 20 years ago for the =
first atlas.

"By comparing the data, we will be able to determine new breeding =
species in the province and any changes to breeding ranges that may have =
occurred in those 20 years," Austin says.

"It will also be able to tell researchers if there have been changes to =
breeding habitat and how well endangered species like the rusty =
blackbird are doing."

While Paquet has not made any sightings of rare birds, Austin says there =
have been some. The latest was a pair of sandhill cranes spotted on the =
Annapolis River at the beginning of July.

"That was a really nice find, because sightings of them are very rare."

Photo: The spruce grouse has great confidence in its camouflage, and =
will often stay still even when approached within a metre.

Photo; The magnolia warbler will hover while tracking its prey, usually =
insects and spiders. These birds will also eat berries in stormy weather =
when their preferred food is scarce.

Photo: The common yellowthroat, a type of warbler song bird, nests in =
lower areas of vegetation and lays three to five eggs in a cup-shaped =
nest. Both parents feed the young.

Photo: Birdwatcher Julie Paquet scans the top of the bushes on a logging =
road near Stanley, Cumberland County, as she takes part in a survey of =
breeding birds. The data she collects will be combined with the work of =
more than 800 volunteer birdwatchers to create the Maritimes Breeding =
Bird Atlas. (All photos by TOM MCCOAG / Amherst Bureau)=20

( tmccoag@herald.ca)
------=_NextPart_000_016B_01C8EF46.259E9C40

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>tick removal device</TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE type=3Dtext/css>BLOCKQUOTE {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
DL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
UL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
OL {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
LI {
	PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px
}
</STYLE>

<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.6000.16674" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Patience, keen eye required<BR>Volunteers=92 =
observations to=20
be published in Maritime Breeding Bird Atlas</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><A=20
href=3D"http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Science/1069712.html">http://www=
.thechronicleherald.ca/Science/1069712.html</A></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Sat. Jul 26, 2008</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>STANLEY =97 "Shhhhhhhhhhhp. Shhhhp. Shhhp.=20
Shhhhhhhhp."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>So much for my image of birdwatchers sitting quietly, patiently =
waiting for=20
our feathered friends to come flying into view.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We=92ve walked barely 100 metres down this old logging road near =
Amherst and=20
my partner, longtime birdwatcher Julie Paquet, is making this strange=20
noise.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Don=92t worry," she says, laughing, while lifting a pair of =
binoculars to=20
her eyes. "The noise will attract the birds. They=92ll be curious and =
want to=20
check it out."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"Shhhhhhhhhp. Shhhhhhp. Shhhhp."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Sure enough, within seconds, we hear the fluttering of rapidly =
beating=20
wings before we see a couple of robins deftly manoeuvring through the =
dense=20
brush on the side of the road.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Paquet watches them for a couple of minutes as they dance among the =

branches, then puts down her binoculars and pulls a battered, rolled-up =
notebook=20
from her pocket. In it, she neatly records the sighting.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The information she collects during our walk will become part of =
the new=20
Maritime Breeding Bird Atlas that the federal government will publish in =
2012.=20
She is one of more than 800 volunteer birdwatchers throughout the =
Maritimes who=20
are collecting data for the atlas.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Each of the provinces has been divided into regions and each of =
those=20
regions has been subdivided into sections of 10 square kilometres. The =
one we=20
are in on this hot, muggy, cloudy day is known as the Salem square. It =
is one of=20
the priority squares =97 areas that must be surveyed to ensure that a =
minimum=20
baseline for each area of the province is achieved.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The priority squares also ensure that all the different types of =
bird=20
habitat in the Maritimes are included in the atlas. The habitat during =
much of=20
our walk is a cut-over forest that is regenerating itself. There are a =
lot of=20
alders and the occasional clump of mature trees that the loggers left=20
behind.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"To be a complete survey, we have to spend 20 hours in the square," =
Paquet=20
says as she begins walking again, gazing at the tops of trees and into =
the=20
bushes.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>We=92ve only gone a few steps when we hear a songbird.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"That=92s a song sparrow," she says, whipping out the notebook =
again.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"We don=92t need to see the bird in order to confirm that it is =
present. We=20
can identify it by its call."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>After making her entry, Paquet shows me the notebook. In it, she =
records=20
the birds she sees or hears. She also notes whether the sighting =
indicated any=20
signs that the bird was breeding.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Those signs include the sighting of a male and female in the same =
area,=20
which she records as a probable mating pair. A bird carrying food in its =
mouth=20
is considered a confirmed breeder because that suggests it is taking =
food back=20
to a nest.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Seeing a bird sitting on a nest also confirms that birds are =
breeding,=20
Paquet explains as we detour off the logging road and up a grassed-over =
pathway.=20
At the end, we come to a pond. When I slip on the muddy shoreline, I =
scare a=20
male wood duck enough that it takes flight. Its trip is a short one, =
though. It=20
lands in the middle of the pond beside a female wood duck that has five=20
youngsters in tow.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"That=92s also a good confirmation that breeding is taking place," =
she says,=20
giving me her binoculars so I can get a better look at the little ones =
as they=20
paddle behind their mother.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>This is the third year that volunteers like Paquet have gathered =
data for=20
the atlas. They will continue their task until the end of 2010.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Like most of the volunteers, Paquet has been an avid birdwatcher =
since she=20
was a child.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"To me, watching birds is just fascinating. It=92s one of the most =
enjoyable=20
things to do," she says as we continue walking. "And being a volunteer =
for the=20
atlas enhances that enjoyment by presenting me with the challenge of =
finding=20
different breeds and evidence that they are breeding."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Suddenly she stops and brings her binoculars up to her eyes.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"There=92s a hummingbird," she says, pointing to the top of a =
tree.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I look, but all I see is the tree until the tiny bird turns its =
head and=20
you can see its long narrow beak. Once more, the notebook comes out and =
the data=20
is recorded.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The highlight of the day comes when we spot an American kestrel =
darting=20
about the sky. The hawk is obviously hunting. We watch it for several =
minutes=20
and although we see it dive toward the ground, we don=92t see if its =
hunt is=20
successful.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>As we turn to walk away, we=92re startled when a frightened spruce =
grouse=20
pops out in front of us. The two sightings are recorded.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>At the end of the walk, we have noted 24 different species of birds =
in the=20
area.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The information will be passed on to the atlas project =
co-ordinators in=20
Sackville, N.B. There it will be combined with data collected by the =
other=20
volunteers to "present us with a very good picture of the distribution =
and=20
abundance of breeding birds in the Maritimes," says Ivy Austin, one of =
the=20
co-ordinators.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>The information will be compared to data collected 20 years ago for =
the=20
first atlas.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"By comparing the data, we will be able to determine new breeding =
species=20
in the province and any changes to breeding ranges that may have =
occurred in=20
those 20 years," Austin says.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"It will also be able to tell researchers if there have been =
changes to=20
breeding habitat and how well endangered species like the rusty =
blackbird are=20
doing."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>While Paquet has not made any sightings of rare birds, Austin says =
there=20
have been some. The latest was a pair of sandhill cranes spotted on the=20
Annapolis River at the beginning of July.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>"That was a really nice find, because sightings of them are very=20
rare."</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>.........</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Photo: The spruce grouse has great confidence in =
its=20
camouflage, and will often stay still even when approached within a=20
metre.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Photo; The magnolia warbler will hover while =
tracking its=20
prey, usually insects and spiders. These birds will also eat berries in =
stormy=20
weather when their preferred food is scarce.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Photo: The common yellowthroat, a type of =
warbler song=20
bird, nests in lower areas of vegetation and lays three to five eggs in =
a=20
cup-shaped nest. Both parents feed the young.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Photo: Birdwatcher Julie Paquet scans the top of =
the=20
bushes on a logging road near Stanley, Cumberland County, as she takes =
part in a=20
survey of breeding birds. The data she collects will be combined with =
the work=20
of more than 800 volunteer birdwatchers to create the Maritimes Breeding =
Bird=20
Atlas. (All photos by TOM MCCOAG / Amherst Bureau) </FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><BR></FONT></DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>( <A=20
href=3D"mailto:tmccoag@herald.ca">tmccoag@herald.ca</A>)</FONT></DIV></BO=