[NatureNS] Bluebird in Kingston (was Vireo chases Blue Jay-A First)

Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2008 22:32:31 -0300
To: naturens@chebucto.ns.ca
From: "P.L. Chalmers" <plchalmers@ns.sympatico.ca>
Cc: barpat@ns.sympatico.ca

--=====================_1703859==.ALT

Hi there,

         Many thanks to Jim for forwarding this note from Pat
Giffin.  I was planning to spend a few days atlassing in the
Kingston/Margaretsville area this weekend, so was delighted to have
this tip ahead of time.  I went in search of the Bluebird, and met
Dan Thibodeau, who lives on Dahlgren Crescent in the western suburbs
of Kingston.  He was very welcoming in showing me where the Eastern
Bluebird had been hanging out.  He has some lovely photos of it
perched on his Hummingbird feeder.

         Just so you are not misled by the recent thread about
unexpected visitors at Hummingbird feeders, I should make clear that
this bird wasn't attracted to the nectar.  He initially came to the
big front window to battle his reflection, and found the
window-mounted hummingbird feeder a convenient perch.  After a few
days Dan put up a nesting box for him, which the EABL checked out
immediately and frequently visited, and used as a perch for
singing.  Alas no mate has appeared, but the bird has been present
for six weeks, now.  Unfortunately it was not seen by me, or the
Thibodeau family, or their neighbours, on Saturday when I was
there.  However it was seen frequently the day before (18 July), and
is probably still in the area and worth looking for.

         As compensation, I found a family of newly-fledged Tree
Swallows, and a family of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were in the neighbourhood.

         Cheers,

         Patricia L. Chalmers
         Halifax

  At 01:38 AM 17/07/2008, Jim Wolford wrote:
>...  Contact the Giffins to see the photo of the male bluebird on
>the hummer feeder.  Jim
>
>Begin forwarded message:
>
>>From: Patrick Giffin <<mailto:barpat@ns.sympatico.ca>barpat@ns.sympatico.ca>
>>Date: July 16, 2008 4:40:11 PM ADT
>>Attached is a photo of the E.Bluebird that stands guard on Dan
>>Thibodeau's, window mounted, hummingbird feeder, in Dalgren
>>Subdivision. When we last heard from Dan it had been a regular
>>visitor for 4 weeks!
>>Cheers, Barbara and Pat

--=====================_1703859==.ALT

Hi there,<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Many
thanks to Jim for forwarding this note from Pat Giffin.&nbsp; I was
planning to spend a few days atlassing in the Kingston/Margaretsville
area this weekend, so was delighted to have this tip ahead of time.&nbsp;
I went in search of the Bluebird, and met Dan Thibodeau, who lives on
Dahlgren Crescent in the western suburbs of Kingston.&nbsp; He was very
welcoming in showing me where the Eastern Bluebird had been hanging
out.&nbsp; He has some lovely photos of it perched on his Hummingbird
feeder.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Just so
you are not misled by the recent thread about unexpected visitors at
Hummingbird feeders, I should make clear that this bird wasn't attracted
to the nectar.&nbsp; He initially came to the big front window to battle
his reflection, and found the window-mounted hummingbird feeder a
convenient perch.&nbsp; After a few days Dan put up a nesting box for
him, which the EABL checked out immediately and frequently visited, and
used as a perch for singing.&nbsp; Alas no mate has appeared, but the
bird has been present for six weeks, now.&nbsp; Unfortunately it was not
seen by me, or the Thibodeau family, or their neighbours, on Saturday
when I was there.&nbsp; However it was seen frequently the day before (18
July), and is probably still in the area and worth looking for.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>As
compensation, I found a family of newly-fledged Tree Swallows, and a
family of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks were in the neighbourhood.&nbsp;
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Cheers,<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Patricia
L. Chalmers<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Halifax<br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab><br><br>
&nbsp;At 01:38 AM 17/07/2008, Jim Wolford wrote:<br>
see the photo of the male bluebird on the hummer feeder.&nbsp;
Jim<br><br>
Begin forwarded message:<br><br>
&lt;barpat@ns.sympatico.ca
&gt;<br>
Attached is a photo of the E.Bluebird that stands guard on Dan
Thibodeau's, window mounted, hummingbird feeder, in Dalgren Subdivision.
When we last heard from Dan it had been a regular visitor for 4
weeks!<br>